Ukraine / Moldova travel budget

Ukraine / Moldova travel budget Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
Ukraine / Moldova travel budget Jan 06, 2011
Country: Ukraine/Moldova

Period visited: 2010 - 11 nights (includes transit through Poland and Romania)

Visa cost: n/a

Budget per day: 100 Euro

Actual per day: 90.51 Euro

Why so expensive?

Accommodation is very expensive in both countries. Furthermore, tours are very expensive, especially in Ukraine. My Chernobyl tour cost me 150 Euros, but some people on my tour had paid as much as 250 for the day trip.

Can it be cheaper?

Yes, you could travel more cheaply if you are travelling as a couple. As accommodation is the major expense, sharing hotel rooms will significantly reduce the cost per person. Furthermore good value accommodation can be found when staying in apartments, rather than hotels.

Hostels cost around 20-25 Euros per bed, so apartments or hotels are probably better value.

Average costs:

Food & Drinks:

Beer: € 1 or less

Espresso: € 1.50 - € 2 (slightly cheaper in Moldova)

Meal: €8-€10

Accommodation:

Dorm: €20-€25 (Odesa)

Single room: €30 (Kiev)

Apartment: €20-€25 (Odesa/Lviv)
Biedjee says:
Right and right again. The roads have massive pot holes, so don't drive at night.
Moldova was interesting to visit. I was there for two days, which was enough, really. Though if you have the time it would be interesting to visit Transdniestria as well.

Not sure about hotel prices, I rented an apartment for €20 a day, which I thought was good value. Check out my review of Andresa apartments, it has a link to their website.
Chokk says:
Thanks :D

How was Moldova - I am thinking about driving down there the end of this summer. Then over Belarus and the Baltic states home.

I have seen that the hotels are quite expensive and heard that the roads can have holes of the size of small lakes!
Biedjee says:
Haha, well, I added it for most of the countries. At least, what I could remember.
Ukraine Map