Uffizi Gallery

Piazzale degli Uffizi, Florence, Italy

Uffizi Gallery Florence Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
The Amazing Uffizi Gallery Sep 30, 2012
The Uffizi Gallery - Galleria degli Uffizi. One of the most acclaimed art museums in the world and a showcase in particular for Italian and Renaissance art. Every art history book has illustrations of the masterworks on display here. To actually see them is person is a surreal experience.

The museum has its origins in the art collecting and commissioning of the Medicis. The gallery itself was built in 1560-1581 as Medici regime administrative offices--uffizi. The gallery forms a large U-shape beginning across from the Palazzo Vecchio and wrapping around back to the Loggia dei Lanzi on the Piazza della Signoria. I liked the newly restored Tribuna, the octagonal central room that was an elegant reception room and original display chamber for the Medici's most treasured works. It was meant to show off the best of the Medici collections to visitors.

It's difficult to know where to begin to describe the Uffizi collections! The works that stood out most for me were Botticelli's Birth of Venus and his Primavera, Michelangelo's Holy Family, and Leonard da Vinci's Annunciation. One could of course spend days here and not take in everything or begin to comprehend it all. The museum is always changing and its never-ending corridors are something of a warren of surprises.

A must-see even if one can only spend a brief time here as was our constraint. A gift shop and terrace cafe are available.

Photography of the collections is not permitted. One can take photos of the Ponte Vecchio from the windows at the far end of the corridors and of the tower of the Palazzo Vecchio from the terrace.

Part of the Historic Centre of Florence UNESCO World Heritage site.
Entrance sign for the Uffizi gllery
The Uffizi Gallery is behind Hercu…
Uffizi Gallery poster with Michela…
rsvpme says:
The lack of photos is a shame,,,it must be beautiful.
Posted on: Dec 07, 2012
spocklogic says:
Great museum - one of the worlds best. Leonardo da Vinci's Annunciation is something to see in person as an example of his work when he was a young man experimenting with perspective.
Posted on: Dec 06, 2012
cavlizzy cavlizzy
Wonderful May 01, 2011
This is a MUST see!!! You may get advance tickets that will allow you to skip the 2 hour+ wait. Just ask your hotel when you make reservations to get you tickets during your stay. Normally you must request a 2 hour window, but this will allow you to walk right in! Go early is my advice, otherwise you will have a crowd in front of many of the paintings you want to see most. Like Botticelli's famous works. Many of these have benches in front of them for you to sit and enjoy and REST, since it is a very large museum. Plan 1/2 the day at least if you are a true art lover unless you just want to FLY through it! Take your own water. Drinks in the Cafe are $$$$$.... and you will get thirsty.
Looking out the window of The UFFI…
pernille8 pernille8
Historic paintings in historic settings Apr 21, 2011
Book a ticket in advance or stand in line for 3 hours. No queu of you buy ticket the day before. Start at the topfloor and take a round. Then pause on the terrasse by the cafeteria in the sun. Then visit the other floors if you still can walk.
Vipin Vipin
Priceless and unforgettable art Oct 12, 2010
Operating as one of the finest art collections and museums in the world, the Uffizi needs little introduction to anyone who is visiting Florence. The building was constructed by Vasari for the powerful Medici family and it soon became a repository for their ever-increasing art collection. After the Medici dynasty came to an end, the last heiress left the collection to the city of Florence upon the condition that its contents remained in the city.

The art contained within the Uffizi is just amazing. Some of my favourites are da Vinci (The Adoration of the Magi), Botticelli (Primavera, The Birth of Venus) and Rembrandt (Self portraits). The paintings are a wonderful overview of the best art out there.

It’s best to consider a trip to the Uffizi as a day trip. I spent at least five hours there. The queues are long and when I went at 8.30am (when it first opens), I waited for 1-2 hours in line. Guided tours are available for an extra cost in several languages and you can pre-book tickets to skip the line.

Apart from the art, I also recommend you pay a visit to the café. Feel free to buy the overpriced coffees and paninis if you wish, but even more profitable is the view from the terrace. You get a wonderful view of Il Duomo!

This was an unforgettable trip and I’d love to visit it each time in Florence. Highly recommended.
mayiask says:
Is there a website where I can get tickets online in advance? How much are tickets?
Posted on: May 07, 2012
sandrasandraskobo says:

Visiting Florence, I would say it is almost obligatory to get through the Uffizi Gallery to admire all the masterpieces exhibited. The only problem I had was the long queue at the ticket office, always long at any time. To overcome the problem I think it is better to book in advance; for reservation of Uffizi Museum, I addressed the following link: www.Uffizi-Firenze.com or www.MuseumTicket.it

Posted on: Feb 09, 2012
montecarlostar says:
Oh I see! I had my etimology all wrong. I thought L'Ouvre referred to "The Works" (spanish "obra") and Uffizi to the spanish word "Oficio" which also means work. But from what you say I can see that Uffizi is related to the word "oficina" (office) rather than to "oficio". Need to go back to Latin school ;)
Posted on: Jan 04, 2011
Miranda-Maas Miranda-…
One of the best museums in Europe Aug 19, 2007
Europe has many terrific museums but to me this is definately one of the best ones. The collection contains paintings of all masters in the European history in painting. So there are not only Italian paintings but also a lot of Spanish, Dutch, Flemisch and German ones. One thing you have to keep in mind when you want to visit this museum is that the Uffizi is crowded every day in year. For that reason it's a good idea to buy your tickets in advance. My boyfriend and i didn't and we had to wait over 3 hours!! It's really worth it but Florence is too beautiful to be in line all the time so make sure you have a reservation. People who did that also had to wait but only 15 minutes. So visit this museum but buy tickets in advance!
nmcrae1 nmcrae1
Jun 01, 2007
I am in total agreement with dlazzaro's review. If you love the Madonna and Child, this is the museum for you. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many in one place. Tons of gorgeous wood paintings and triptychs and, I'm afraid, insufficient air conditioning for Italian summers. Dress accordingly, wear comfortable shoes, and get ready to wait. Nonetheless a necessary experience.
yadilitta yadilitta
Full of Masterpieces - Uffizi Gallery Jun 22, 2006
This famous museum is one of the biggest worldwide. It's the house of art pieces of all the big renascence artists. With the art pieces you will be able to follow the evolution of the painting until the end of XVII century.

It was amazing watching all these beautiful art pieces "in live". I was looking for Boticelli's "The Spring" and "The Birth of Venus"; Leonardo's "Annunciation"; Michelangelo's "Sacred Family"; and other pieces from Rafael and Tiziano. Also find work from Durero, Altdorfer, Cranach & Holbein, Tintoretto, the Verones, Rubens, Caravaggio, Goya. I grew up reading books of art and admiring these pieces, so awesome to see them "face to face". Just at the entrance - not even going inside - you'll find amazing art pieces, just telling you what's about to come.

This museum is huge and always crowded. They have a website where you can book your visit, so you won't have to wait too long. I highly recommend to do it. I didn't but arrived really early, so it didn't take me too long to go inside. The Vasariano corridor (self portraits area) connects the gallery with Palazzo Pitti.

Other tip: read about the different rooms in the museum first and visit your favorite first (mine were 10 -14th) then go back and visit the others. If you start from the 1, 2, etc. You will be walking with all the people and won't be able to see much. ;)
dlazzaro dlazzaro
May 06, 2006
The Uffizi Gallery is Florence's world famous art gallery which has been built up and accumulated over the last 500+ years. Originally built as offices for the Florentine Republic, it was eventually converted the art museum it is today. It has works including the famous "Venus" and other equally famous paintings and sculptures.The lines for this museum are at times *extremely* long, so it is important to make reservations or get there very very early in the morning. However, it is worth it -- aside from the Louvre in Paris it is perhaps the world's most important and complete galleries of Medieval and Renaissance art.A must see!
Rachel89 says:
I wasn't able to stay very long, but the Uffizi was my favorite art museum in Europe. It has many works, including "The Birth of Venus" by Botticelli and the "Adoration of the Magi" by Leonardo Da Vinci. The line takes forever, but it's worth it.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2006
purplepoetess purplepo…
Stunning gallery Apr 03, 2006
Amazing probably best collection of art and sculptures I've ever encountered...take a bottle of water and some comfy shoes though...
tiddleyboom tiddleyb…
Oct 16, 2002
Having had the good fortune to have seen several of the world's greatest art museums, the Uffizi ranks in my top three favorites (the others being the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and the Musee d'Orsay in Paris). It's smaller and much more intimate than the Louvre or the Prado and still chock full of amazing paintings and scultpture. We went in the Fall, so the lines weren't quite as long and the a/c was not a factor. It's a must see for all. Even if you're not that into art, you'll be amazed at the sites you'll see!

Related Travel Blogs About Uffizi Gallery

Florence & the Statue of David - Trent
I spoke too soon in my last entry about everything running smoothly and never really feeling rushed.  As you now know Venice was a scramble, then on Wednesday (June 23, 2009) we ran into train d…Uffizi Gallery in Florence.   However, we did make the afternoon tour of the Accademia where you find the works…
The ancient city
After unsuccessfully visiting the Uffizi gallery in Florence, I made my way to Rome. I soon discovered there was a nationwide strike, as many of the famous tourist attractions in Italy were closed, …Uffizi gallery in Florence, I made my way to Rome. I soon discovered there was a nationwide strike, as many…
Florence : Fine culture and fatigue in Tuscany.
I’ve tried to do a bit of ‘Lonely Planet’ revision ahead of Florence as of all the cities in Italy, excepting Rome, this is the one they tell you straight is gonna bowl you over.  Principl…Florence Duomo.   I will come back to this at several other points in my time here so move swiftly on to the Uffizi Gallery

Check Florence Hotel Deals