Udderbelly

London, England

Udderbelly London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Udderbelly Jun 28, 2010
Udderbelly is a comedy venue that appears on the Southbank in early summer, and travels north to the Edinburgh Festival later in the summer. It is a giant, purple, inflatable cow and when it is on the Southbank it is surrounded by a beer tent and a take away branch of pizza express.

No, really. It is a giant purple upside down inflatable cow. There is also a TV to watch the world cup outside. On the side of the cow.

There really can be no better place to watch stand up comedy. I really enjoyed Arthur Smith, but even if I hadn’t, I could have thought about the fact I was inside a cow and that would be funny in its own right.

Admittedly, the inside of a cow is a hot place to watch comedy and at points the stewards gave out water. But we are in the middle of an exceptionally hot patch. The views of the stage are excellent as the seating is quite steeply racked, and the sound system is good.

When I was there, there was someone transcribing the comedy onto a screen for people who couldn’t hear. This actually added to the experience, as Arthur Smith started teasing her and she teased back on the screen. I don’t know if there is wheelchair access – I came up some steps.

Udderbelly is part of underbelly, who do a lot of interesting stuff in the Edinburgh festival.

almond72 says:
I'm having a fun time trying to imagine what the place looks like. :D
Posted on: Jun 30, 2010
sarahelaine says:
I'll have photos up soon. But it is quite surreal. Not least because the cow looks pretty surprised to find itself upside down and stuffed with comedy fans...
Posted on: Jun 30, 2010