Ubud Market

Ubud, Indonesia

Ubud Market Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Souvenir Market Apr 27, 2015
Ubud market is where you find all kinds of Balinese or Indonesian arts and craft and knick knacks and souvenirs. Within this (dirty) multi-storey building also houses the local market selling fruits, vegetable, dried (fish) products and clothing.

We were misled by our hotel concierge that the men must wear the Balinese headgear and a sarong when entering the temples. That was why we came to the markets to buy the headgear and sarong for my then boyfriend.

Be warned though if you are the first customer at the shop – they do not like it if you bargain. We were there about 11 am when the shops (selling art décor or clothing) start to open. Unfortunately, you do need to bargain as once the local sellers spot a Caucasian – the prices of goods ultimately go up! They always say it is for their shop’s good luck (if you don’t bargain so much). Somehow, I also hear this phrase when travelling to other Southeast Asian destinations like Thailand or China. So question is – is it really a superstitious believe or just for seller’s benefit?

Anyway, I did bargain but not so much as I feared being cursed or whacked by these sellers. So we got a sarong and the head gear and after walking further into the market – we realised just how much we were ripped off from the previous shop! This somehow almost always happen when shopping in such places in Asia!
Ubud Market
This is where we got ripped off!

Check Ubud Hotel Deals