USS Torsk

Pier 1, Baltimore, MD, USA

USS Torsk Baltimore Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Retired, Historic Submarine ship in Baltimore Jun 23, 2012
This is a must see and tour while in the Baltimore area. I think many of us will never ride in a submarine, so this is as good as it gets. The tour of the USS Torsk was number 3 of 4 ships we got to see. It is characteristically long, at least 311 feet, gray with a shark face painted at the front. Mark was unable to come with us because Alexander was tired, hot, sweaty and sleepy. So he offered to stay with Alexander, to get him to sleep and cool off after the Chesapeake tour.

We went down from the back and worked our way to the front. Nothing prepares you for what you see inside. I'm not an engineering geek or anything like that, but I can tell by just seeing that, the building of this submarine was no piece of cake for the engineers.

Commissioned in 1944, it served in World War II. It operated from Pearl Harbor, making two war patrols off the coast of Japan in 1945. Torsk sank an enemy warship in World War II, it was part of the American Submarine Offensive which played an important role in the Pacific Campaign of World War II.

She also participated in US Navy operations during the 1960 Lebanon Crisis and the 1962 Cuban blockade.

The tour takes you through the different sections of the submarine; the operations room, the living quarters of the captain and high ranking officers, the food mess, bathrooms, dinning room, communications room etc.

It is quite a neat experience touring it. I recommend you do , it is not a waste of money, I promise.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain
The US Submarine, Torsk.
USS Submarine Torsk
USS Submarine Torsk, National Hist…
USS Submarine Torsk