San Diego, California

USS Midway San Diego Reviews

mouzouris mouzouris
Two thumbs up May 16, 2014
This is a must if you're in San Diego. We arrived about 10 minutes before they opened the gates so the line was not huge and the parking lot was not full ($10 for parking). Most of the employes are NAVY retirees that served on the carrier which is pretty cool and also very knowledgeable. Our five year old loved it, especially sitting in the cockpits of some of the planes. They have a great gift shop with reasonable prices. You will need a couple of hours minimum just to see every level, that's without the audio tour that is included in the ticket price.
kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
USS Midway May 14, 2011
If you ever want to see an aircraft carrier from the United States Navy, San Diego is the place to do it, at the USS Midway museum. Located just to the south of the downtown pier, the museum is within walking distance (though it's going to look a lot closer than it really is). There are exhibits throughout the ship, and you can get a feel for what life would be like onboard an active aircraft carrier as you walk through the living quarters, galley, hanger, and flight deck of the USS Midway. On the flight deck, you will find a variety of different aircraft that may have been used onboard the craft at one point.
magnificent magnific…
All Aboard Mar 25, 2010
For many this is a well worth trip to see up close an example of a Navy warship. It is located just off Harbor Dr. south of Broadway. This is only a few blocks west of Amtrak. You can walk north from Seaport Village.

I was in the Navy and spent part of my time on CVN-65 Enterprise with over 5,000 men (at the time no women allowed on carriers) and can say this is a good example of what life is like on a ship.

Some years ago my I went on board with my sister's children. It did bring back memories. I think they do a good job at the set up where visitors can navigate around the ship and discover many things.

I notice the price has gone up considerably but still I think it is worth doing if you can squeeze the $18. There are some discounts available, check out the website. I would still go to show someone around.

A few blocks down stop for lunch at Antony's. The outdoor portion you get quick seafood at fair prices
1morespicy says:
I've been on the Midway twice. Always a good day out. :)
Posted on: Mar 26, 2010
Chad_King Chad_King
Well Worth The Money Jul 09, 2010
If you want to look into the history of the U.S. Navy this is the place to start. It is a self guided tour well worth the money. There are so many things to see you cannot get them all in. If you have kids it is great there are interactive games, Planes Flight Simulators. You get a head set to listen to all of the stations and it tells what happened in that part of the ship. If you are in San Diego this is a must see.

I have been in the Military for 15 years and this is the best tour I have been on as far as military history goes.
silirat silirat
The past in the now Apr 10, 2009
This carrier, built during WWII, but not active until after the war ended lead a long distinguished carrier throughout the length of the Cold War, retiring from active duty shortly after the Gulf War. Now she is a museum ship.

The adult rate is 18$(2011) but I got in with my Go San Diego card, which included this attraction.

While I am a bit of a military geek, I am not particularly interested in the navy. Still, the audio tour included with the ticket price on the USS Midway kept me enthralled for close to 4 hours. Covering several different decks, the tour winds it's way through several decks of the ship and covers a lot of aspects of ships life in minute detail. For example, in the kitchens, on the table you will find a recipe book showing examples of some of the meals that the crew would eat.

One of the decks includes a restaurant, a gift shop, a motion movie theater and virtual flight combat simulators. On the deck of the ship, there are a variety of the different types of airplanes and helicopters of types that have at one time or another been in service on these ship. There;s also great views across the bay.

Docents (frequently veterans) give lectures on different aspects of navy/carrier life at various points throughout the museum. There is also a guided tour into the tower of the carrier that is worth seeing, but has a lot of steep almost ladder like climbing so it may not be for everyone.

All in all, I had a great time and would highly recommended it to anyone with even the slightest interest in history or the military.

Related Travel Blogs About USS Midway

USS Midway
The aircraft carrier USS Midway was commission in 1945.  Nick wasn't feeling well so he couldn't join us, so Tom and Art drove into San Diego and toured the vessel.The ship has been converted in…USS Midway was commission in 1945.  Nick wasn't feeling well so he couldn't join us, so Tom and Art drove into San Diego

Check San Diego Hotel Deals