U.S. Capitol

(202) 226-8000

U.S. Capitol Washington Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
House of the Galleries of Senate and House of Representatives Jul 05, 2012
I put free as the cost for touring this attraction because we did not pay to see the exterior of the building. We made a brief stop on our way to the Library of Congress. My curiosity could not wait, so was my husband's impatience to go get library cards for the library of Congress. So My daughter and I, run up to the front of the building, and admired the structural details, the beautifully kept facade and grounds. Architecture is one of the many things I admire when I travel; this one is one of those that caught my attention. Reminded me of Rome, the roman style structure looks like a cathedral one would find in Italy.

It is the location of the galleries of Senate and House of Representative; you can tour them when either is in session. You will of course need a gallery pass from your senator or representative (this limits it to residents and citizens of the United States). Not to worry, if you are an international visitor, you can get a gallery pas from the Senate appointment desk located on the upper level of the Capitol Visitors Center.

We did not go on a tour, but look forward to doing so before we leave the East coast. The visitor center is easily accessible and is free to tour as well. It was rather crowded on this day because it was incredibly hot outside.

Tours of the Capitol Building is available Monday - Saturday from 8:50 am - 3:20 pm. Tickets required as explained above.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain
camwilde camwilde
US Capitol Dec 06, 2010
To visit the US Capitol on tour, you have to schedule with your senator well before your visit to DC. We did this and were able to take the tour. It was very interesting and well worth the preparation.

It has been changed over the years to accommodate the states that have been added to the union, but not has a distinctive dome and two wings, one for each house of the legislature.

The tour was great and we were given tickets at the end to sit in on a session of congress. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to use them.
My visit to the Capitol with Close…
A view of the Capitol at night.

Check Washington Hotel Deals