U Babci Maliny

ul. Szpitalna 38, Krakow, Poland
U Babci Maliny - My dad's exploring his goulash. Now he looks a bit doubtful still, but he was totally convinced about it after he had tasted :)
U Babci Maliny - My mom's steak, which wasn't really steak but non the less very tasty.
U Babci Maliny - My lovely pierrogi.
U Babci Maliny - Some glimpse of the interior.

U Babci Maliny Krakow Reviews

Pearl510 Pearl510
Grandma cooking Polish food Jul 16, 2008
We went to the U Babci Maliny restaurant because one of the girls at our hostel recommended it. We were looking for a place to eat typical Polish food but that also had a nice and comfortable interior. The name "U babci Maliny" means something like "At grandma Maliny's place". At the logo of the place you can see grandma, with funny little glasses, traditional clothing, a heavy belly and blushing cheeks :)

Though this restaurant feels pretty touristy there were a lot of locals around when we went to have dinner here. When you enter this place, it feels like you enter in some log cabin. All is very dark, and looks like it is made of wood. Tables are long and instead of chairs, there are benches. This is the "bar" though, the restaurant is downstairs. And what a difference you'll find here!

Half way the stares you'll see the balustrades changing from wooden poles to nicely painted, elegant railings. The music will change to live piano sounds and the air will cool down. This area is completely Disneyland. It is decorated in some old Victorian looking style, with rustic armchairs, heavy wooden tables, paintings in large golden frames against the wall,... you name it. At first all this kitsch-like furniture got to my stomach, but I got used to it quickly. It all feels so fake and unreal but at the same time the picture is complete. Very odd really.

So what about the food? The menu is translated to English but the staff does only speak Polish. So ordering isn't always that easy. As long as you just pick something from the list you can point at there is no problem, but if you have a question about something nobody can answer you. That isn't a main issue though. We all found something we liked on the menu.

The staff wasn't that friendly yet correct, and service was fast. I had ordered pierrogi ruskie pieczone, which is a simple dish that is best compared to stuffed dumplings. You can find them filled with coal, meat, cheese,... The ruskie variant is, if I remember correct, stuffed with goat cheese, onions and potatoes. Sounded vegetarian enough to me :) Normally pierogi is boiled but when you order it "pieczone" you will get them fried. The dish was lovely but very heavy on the stomach. I got 11 pieces of the dumplings but there was no way I could eat them all.

My father ordered Goulash and my mother some kind of "hunter's steak". They were very happy with their dishes too.

So yes I would certainly recommend this place, if you want to eat some Polish cuisine. The setting is just so original and strange, the food is very good and the price is really cheap. A very nice restaurant.
Some glimpse of the interior.
My dad's exploring his goulash. No…
My mom's steak, which wasn't reall…
My lovely pierrogi.