Twin Palms Restaurant

101 West Green Street, Pasadena, CA, USA

Twin Palms Restaurant Pasadena Reviews

TRE69 TRE69
Dining Out Under Palm Trees Apr 25, 2008
Twin Palms Pasadena is a fantastic restaurant a block down from Colorado Blvd as it runs through Old Town Pasadena. The restaurant space is enclosed in a courtyard which blocks out the traffic on the street. There are 3 dining areas within the restaurant an indoor formal dining room, an outdoor covered terrace section, and an extensive patio dining area that is shaded by the restaurants namesake palm trees and white canvas sails.

The first time I ate at Twin Palms, I had the Mac N' Cheese made with Vermont white cheddar, imported ham, and cauliflower. My best friend, Paula, and I so wanted to order it again but to our dismay, Twin Palms removed it from their menu.

Since we had to look over the menu again as well as wait for Paula's husband, Ali, to arrive, we ordered some appetizers. We ordered the Crispy Calamari, Mediterranean Platter for 2, and the Chicken Mango Tower.

Calamari, baby artichoke hearts, and caper berries were crusted with a batter that had almonds and was served with a garlic aioli. The calamari was good but I especially enjoyed the artichoke hearts.

The Mediterranean Platter was composed of Grilled flatbread, hummus, baba ghanoush, fried olives, stuffed grape leaves, and marinated feta. The hummus on the flatbread was good. I don't like eggplant so I stayed well away from the baba ghanoush. The fried olives were an interesting twist...flavorful but the crunchy outer coating took a little time to appreciate. Beware the olives were not pre-pitted.

The Chicken Mango Tower was actually a salad with chicken, mango, mandarin oranges, candied walnuts and hearts of palm mixed with baby greens in a passion fruit vinaigrette. The salad was really delicious with 3 levels of crunchiness from the mango, walnuts, and palm hearts. There must have been only trace amounts of passion fruit in the dressing because I am usually slightly allergic to the fruit. Lucky for me!

For our entrees, Ali ordered the Giant Pork Chops. Paula had the Chicken Piccata. Zaida got the Twin Palms Famous Half Rotisserie Chicken. Patti ate the Seafood Linguini. And I ordered the Pan Seared Snapper.

My Pan Seared Snapper was accompanied by Spring Succotash and was served with an herb butter sauce. The fish in the sauce was succulent and moist and oh so good! The succotash of fresh corn, snow peas, baby carrots, pearl onions, and green beans...all of which were sweet and crisp. The mash potatoes on the side were OK.

I tasted a bit of the other dishes except for the linguini. The pork chops were thick cut but still moist. The maple and mustard sauce had the best of both worlds...sweet and tangy. The chicken breast meat in the piccata was very moist and juicy and the sauce was really flavorful and had lots of lemony flavor. The rotisserie chicken was fabulous too with its citrus marinade permeating through the meat.

For dessert, we shared the Melting Chocolate Souffle Cake which had a light and fluffy texture and a hot dark chocolate oozing center...yum, Yum, and YUM!!!

The service was good especially on a busy night with a semi-private party going on which took up 3/4ths of the terrace seating area.

Twin Palms does not have its own parking lot but there is a flat rate public parking structure right next door and metered parking two blocks down.

I would definitely eat at Twin Palms again because my snapper dish was really good and I like the ambiance. I just hope they will put the mac n' cheese back on the menu. =D
Outside of Twin Palms Pasadena