Turtle Island

Sandakan, Selingan, Malaysia

Turtle Island Selingan Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
A unique experience Dec 20, 2014
I visited turtle island on christmas day for a 1 day/1 night trip. I found the trip expensive as I was travelling alone and was charged a single occupancy. the trip cost me 800RM. If you can try and get a travel buddy to share the accomodation with, it would reduce the cost to 650RM each.

I read in my lonely planet that they don't recommend it as they believe that turtle eggs are being sold in Sabah. I never saw this and I wanted to make my own mind up about the place.

The tour guide came and picked me up from the accomodation at 8.30am and we drove to the jetty where we checked in (bring your passports) and then boarded the speed boat with our other passengers. I think the boat took maybe an hour, I'm not sure didn't check when we arrived. We rocked up to this tiny island surrounded by turquoise water, it was idyllic. Checked into our chalets, they were spacious and clean, with hot showers and aircon.

We were provided with a buffet lunch and the bar stocks beers, water, soft drinks and snacks. perhaps bring some things of your own as the bar ran out of beer. it was christmas day.

We spent the afternoon relaxing on the beach, hired snorkel equipment. There is a small swimming area, you can only swim here, as the water surrounding the islands is part of the Philippines. I saw a good variety of fish but sadly no turtles. We had dinner at 6.00pm again a buffet style, food was pretty tasty.

We then watched a short movie on the turtle conservation process, the dangers to the turtles and the need for conservation. Then its a waiting game, we only had to wait 1hr when the rangers called to saw that a mother was laying eggs on the beach. It was pretty incredible, she digs a hole that takes approx 1 hr then she laid 41 eggs, then she takes up to 1 hr to head back to the sea. The ranger explains the process and he collects the eggs. They claim that the mother has no idea that her eggs have been removed. Once they collect the eggs they are transported to the hatchery and buried in a hole in the sand the same depth as the original hole. The place all the eggs in either a male or female hatchery. they can determine the sex of the eggs based on the temperature of the hatchery. Once buried, we then took some hatchlings down to the beach and watched them run to the ocean.

In the morning we left early about 6.30 after the buffet breakfast where we travelled back to Sandakan by speed boat and then transfered back to our accomodation.
chantelleindia chantell…
Sun, Sand and Surf at Cherating Islands Nov 02, 2010
Wish you were away from the hustle and bustle of the city? Located at less than 50 km from Kuantan is the gorgeous Cherating Island. Powdery white sands, sun kissed virgin beaches lined with casuarina trees, my visit to Cherating was as blissful and relaxing as ever. Here are a few places with awesome memories attached to it!

Turtle Sanctuary and Turtle Watching- While walking on the soft sands of Cherating beach, we caught a glimpse of little turtles leaving their footprints. The guide told us that this beach was home to the Leatherback, Green, Olive Ridley and Hawksbill species. On walking a few more distances we saw the famous Turtle Sanctuary where baby hatchlings were looked after before they found their way to the sea. If you’re lucky enough you can watch these turtles hit the shores at night.

Watch fireflies- At night, we took a cruise through the mangrove lined river and guess what? we watched a mystery unfold with a million fireflies dancing through trees and lighting up the darkness.

Snorkelling at Snake Island- This is a must do if you’re at Cherating Island. On day 2 we made our way to the Snake Island which is off the coast of Cherating, Pulau Ular. Had a great time snorkelling and frolicking around colourful reef fishes.

Buzzing Night market- After the snorkelling session we were tempted to do a little shopping. Went to the town of Kemaman.

Batik Making- 'Design and make your own Malaysian batik'! We did this on our last day and learnt the ancient Malaysian art of making Batik at the Natural Batik Village.

All in all, Cherating is a beautiful place to visit and i am surely going to make it a point to go there again.
tvillingmarit tvilling…
Oct 30, 2007
Sabah Parks has created a marine park around three islands in the Sulu Sea about 40 km North of Sandakan, which is important areas for the breeding of the Green Turtle. One of these islands is Selingan.

Designated as a Marine Park, the island are safe haven for the endangered Green Turtles and Hawksbill Turtles. Strangely, these turtles only lay eggs in their original birthplace.

At night park rangers allow visitors carefully to visit the turtle laying eggs. It`s a slow sand digging, laying and burying ritual that the turtle go through before making its way back into the water.

Park rangers then carefully transfer the eggs into a safe haven for monitoring, before hatching and subsequent release into the sea. Visitors participate in releasing the new born turtles.

Overnight stay on Selingan Island is recommended for a rare glimpse of these turtle laying eggs. Arrangements can be made with a local tour agent.

To all of you, if you visit Sandakan, Borneo Turtle Island is a MUST!!
Turtle laying eggs
Hatchery
WillyFog says:
What an amazing experience!
Posted on: Nov 22, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Turtle Island

Turtle Island
    The state of Sabah is located in the Northern most portion of the island of Borneo. Its coastline is washed by the waters of the South China Sea on the West, and the Sulu Sea and Cele…Turtle Island Park , Selingan Island .   Sabah Parks has created a marine park around three islands in the Sulu Sea about…
Turtle Island Park - Pulau Selingan
    Had our first "included breakfast" at Sandakan Backpackers today - VERY soft white bread, butter, jam and coffee with condensed milk - all you can eat!!  At first we found the…Island provided a nice spot to see a 20 minute video about the turtles and the conservation park that has been created jointly by the Malaysian and Philippine governments…
Mothers and babies
We have arriced at Selingan Island which is part of the Turtle Islands reserve just outside of Sandakan. The areas are protected so that the Green sea turtles and Hawksbill turtles can breed with mor…Selingan Island which is part of the Turtle Islands reserve just outside of Sandakan. The areas are protected so that…
Selingan Map