Turtle Bay

www.turtlebay.co.uk - 023 8063 9568

Turtle Bay Southampton Reviews

KateJKate KateJKate
Lovely food and a chilled out atmosphere Jan 16, 2012
I went here for the first time on the 28th Nov 2011 for dinner with a friend- booking a table is recommended as it usually gets fully booked quite quickly! As soon as you walk in you get a sense of the atmosphere, the wooden floors and tasteful blue and yellow touches around the restaurant give it a beachy feel, and the sparkly lights hanging from the ceiling add to the chilled out ambience.

We both had a virgin passionfruit cocktail, which was seriously gorgeous- refreshing and cold with bits of passionfruit on the top, definitely worth the money (and you can get 2 for 1 cocktails during their 2 happy hours which are 12-7pm and 10pm onwards!!)

Before our main course (we didn't order a starter) we had a garlic and herb stone-baked flatbread to share, which was only £2 and tasted delicious. For my main course I had a vegetarian Caribbean one pot, called the 'Rastafari Ital Rundown' £9.50, (found out on the menu that it was supposedly Bob Marley's favourite dish!)- it had butter beans, corn on the cob, greens, glazed carrots, sweet potato, bell peppers, spring onions & herbs with coconut milk and pumpkin rice, with a roti flatbread on the side. Eating from a large pot like this with everything mixed together was a totally new eating experience for me and I can't put into words how good it tasted!! It was creamy and sweet and the flatbread was a great accompaniment for dipping in the pot.

My friend had the Dipped Pork Steak from the Jerk Pit BBQ section of the menu for their main course,£9.75,which had been marinated, then grilled and dipped in their secret sauce! You also get a choice of sweet potato mash or sweet potato fries- He chose the mash, having been there before and preferring it to their fries.

We decided not to have dessert, simply because there was so much of my main course which I felt obliged to eat in its entirety! We had another cocktail and asked for the bill (which admittedly did take a while, but it was their busiest time of night so i let them off!) The service in general was relaxed and friendly, a waitress came over and asked us if we were enjoying our meals and they all seemed genuinely enthusiastic about serving you. The only thing I would say is that after we initially sat down, there was a considerable wait until someone came over and took our drinks order. The wait for the food was reasonable, could have been a bit quicker but it was incredibly busy and food was SO worth the wait!

This in my opinion is a fabulous restaurant. It's relatively new to Southampton and has become so popular already- I strongly advise anyone who loves authentic Caribbean food, but also everyone who hasn't tasted it before, like me, to go there and try it out! I'm a fussy eater at the best of the times but I thought it was absolutely delicious, and if you love wholesome and flavourful food (let's face it who doesn't?) it's ideal. Go now!! :)
My 'Rastfari Ital Run Down'- yum!

Check Southampton Hotel Deals