Tuomiokirkko (Lutheran Catedral)

Unioninkatu 29, Helsinki, Finland

Tuomiokirkko (Lutheran Catedral) Helsinki Reviews

adynugroho adynugro…
Central attractions of Helsinki Jul 11, 2011
Believe it or not, I had no longer than 2 hours to walk around Helsinki in a morning. I caught the first shuttle bus at around 5am from Vantaa Airport to the city centre. A friend of mine suggested that once I arrived at the bus terminal I should walk straight to Tuomiokirkko. This cathedral is simply the icon of Helsinki. I didn't get in to it as it was too early in the morning but at least I can say I've been to Helsinki because I've seen the cathedral. From there, it's easy to stroll the central bit of the city. From the Senate Square, that is adjacent to the cathedral, I walked eastward to the Presidential Palace and then strolled along the harbour pass the fish market. I walked pass the high streets to see closed shops on my way back to the bus station for the airport again. All of those needed no longer than 2 hours. If you have more time you might want to visit the other cathedral on Katajanokka Island to which you can reach by crossing the bridge next to the Presidential Palace. It's Uspenski Cathedral, a red brick ortodox cathedral. You can see it clearly enough without crossing the bridge though.

Check Helsinki Hotel Deals