Tunnel Museum

Tunnel Museum - Siege map

Tunnel Museum Sarajevo Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Must see in Sarajevo Nov 23, 2011
Located near the airport, the Tunnel Museum should not be missed at all. If anything, for visitors to learn more about the Siege of Sarajevo that happened from 1992 to 1996, and seeing that it was not just something you saw on TV, but that it actually happened. And see first-hand how horrific the Siege really was.

Sometimes called the War Tunnel, Sarajevo Tunnel or the Tunnel of Hope, as this symbolized hope for the very people trapped in the siege. As Serb forces completely blockaded the city, nothing could get in or out. So the tunnel was built underneath the airport, to bypass Serb forces, to get food, water, medicine and weapons into the city. And it was the only way for people to get in or out of the city.

Also, you are better off seeing this place on a guided tour, as the Tunnel Museum is hard to reach, being located in a residential neighborhood, in what looks like the countryside. The tunnel is located inside someone’s home, so it may be hard to find. We had a guy named Adan as our tour guide, who is located at a tourist office near the Latin Bridge. Transportation and admission is included in the price for the tour, making things more easier. And a lot more informative, as we learn more things from our guide than we would have, on our own.

What goes on in the guided tour, has already been said in the blog, so no need to repeat it here. What I will repeat, is that no visit to Sarajevo would be complete without a visit to the Tunnel Museum. And I recommend seeing it on a guided tour.
home where the tunnel was built
Siege map
inside Tunnel Museum
chair used to move the Bosnian pre…
monkeymia79 says:
I too had no idea such a museum existed so thank you for sharing Walter. If I have the chance to visit Sarajevo, I will do this tour for sure. I still remember it being on the news and also seeing photos from Annie Leibovitz's collection.
Posted on: Mar 21, 2016
alyssa_ob says:
Very interesting! I had no idea this museum existed!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2011
WalterC says:
No problem, as I don't mind sharing about it at all. And wow, I can't imagine what it would have been like, being in an actual war zone. It must have been truly something, to say the least!
Posted on: Dec 22, 2011