Tulip Inn Centre Leiden

Tulip Inn Centre Leiden Rates and Deals

Tulip Inn Centre Leiden Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
strangest customer care policy ever experienced Sep 08, 2008
My views of the Tulip Inn in Leiden are slightly less positive than Londonstudent's below. This is largely due to the strange incident I had with during the Leiden meet-up.

Originally I was to share a room with a mate of mine, but when he fell ill a few days before the meet, he had to cancel. I decided to keep the room and stay in it alone instead. When I checked in to the hotel in the afternoon I explained the situation, and they changed the reservation to my name, charged my credit card and handed me a key.

During dinner I received a txt message from my friend that the hotel had tried to call him and he asked if I could check with the hotel if he hadn't been charged a no-show fee. Upon returning to the hotel around midnight I explained this to the night receptionist and to my surprised I was told my reservation had been cancelled and I was asked to leave!

So even though I had checked in, received a key, put my luggage in the room and gave my credit card to the reception, they still insisted I'd leave the hotel because they had already sold my room to someone else. And since all of Leiden was fully booked, they didn't want to turn that someone else away.

Now I have worked in hotels for a great part of my life, and have a hotel management degree to boot, so I am fairly sure that this should not be procedure ANYWHERE, EVER!

During my travels I have stayed in quite some, uhm, interesting accommodations in backwater places in various sections in the world, but I have never, ever experienced anything like this.

In the end I had no choice but to leave my room and bunk down with four other Travbuddies in their room (thanks again guys). An apology and a bottle of wine was all the hotel had to offer for the inconvenience.

After such an experience it was difficult to enjoy the hotel for what it was: I found the room to be extremely hot, with aircon non-existent, the shower temperature unstable. The breakfast was mediocre at best, with no croissants or cutlery available after 10 and the coffee they served was downright awful. And, through the incident, I have serious doubts about the professionalism of the staff. Neither the reception staff nor the duty manager taking my complaint the next day (casually dressed and wearing flip-flops!) seemed to have any clear idea of what they were doing.

So if you intend to stay in this hotel, then do make sure to pay for your room upon arrival, request a receipt, then go straight to your room, lock the door and under no circumstance leave it until you are ready to check out. You never know what might happen otherwise...
Devika1985 says:
jezus gast wat loop je weer te bitchen zeg :D
Posted on: Sep 07, 2008
Joost1976 says:
BJ...indeed that sucked bigtime, glad u shared a room and stayed with us....
Posted on: Sep 07, 2008
londonstudent says:
How very strange! I'm glad to have someone else confirm my opinion of the aircon!
Posted on: Sep 06, 2008
londonstudent londonst…
Comfortable, Convenient and Clean Aug 29, 2008
The Tulip Inn Hotel (not to be confused with the Golden Tulip Hotel, which is on the same site and with which it shares some facilities) is situated about 200m from Leiden Centraal train and bus stations. It is a modern hotel and has the business-person in mind as much as the tourist. The general standard of cleanliness and furnishings was high, and the staff were always pleasant and helpful. The only meals I had there were breakfasts, which were buffet-style and perfectly reasonable, although somewhat expensive if not included in the room rate.

The first room I was allocated seemed exceptionally hot; it was a very warm afternoon, the air-conditioning appeared not to be working, and there was no window that opened. A complaint to reception immediately resulted in my being allocated a different room; although it was still difficult to tell the status of the aircon, there was an opening window, and that made all the difference. Of course, the reception staff all speak good English.

The bed appeared to be double, but consisted of two single mattresses pushed together; as I was the sole occupant this hardly mattered except that I was unable to sleep in the centre of the bed. However, the bed was nonetheless very comfortable.

The bathroom was well appointed although it lacked a bath, which I rather assumed was a defining feature of a bathroom. On the plus side, the shower was about the most efficient that I have ever experienced, and once I had worked out how it functioned it maintained a perfectly even cascade of water at just the required temperature. The toilet had a nifty double-flush arrangement.

The room itself was a reasonable size for one. The only time I tried to use the television, the channels that purportedly showed BBC1 and BBC2 actually showed the National Geographic channel, and some other with a lot of guff about animals. It was also the only hotel room I have ever occupied where there was no kettle or any other facility for making tea or coffee - just a note that there was a vending machine on the floor above. The room was maintained to a very high standard, and although there was some noise from the trains at the train station and an adjoining building site, it was also exceptionally quiet as regards noise from other residents in adjoining rooms.

Things I particularly liked, not mentioned above: old bound volumes of Punch in the lounge just off reception; a secure room where you could leave your luggage after having checked out; reception staff will stamp and post your postcards; a nice selection of breads and pastries at breakfast.

Things that could be improved, not mentioned above: going to breakfast early one morning, the bacon had not appeared; also at breakfast, the cutlery is laid but only one knife is provided, which means that if you have (to take an entirely random example) scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and baked beans, and then want to have toast and jam, you have to steal a knife from another place-setting, which is unseemly; also at breakfast, the machine that was supposed to toast bread did nothing of the kind, but just made it warm; also at breakfast, there was no marmalade.

I enjoyed my stay, and would return again. Tip: if you have difficulty in making a reservation, try www.hotelclub.com, as they appear to make a block booking; I was able to reserve my room here, notwithstanding that other sites informed me that there were no rooms available. Furthermore, the rate I got from hotelclub was not only less than that quoted elsewhere but also included breakfast, which rates from other sites did not.
View from the bedroom, showing the…
pms70 pms70
Well located hotel with disappointing service Aug 30, 2008
During the TB meet-up in Leiden a large group stayed at this hotel. It is well located, close to the train station and the city, and it has a luggage room and that is about the best things I can say about it. Everything else was quite disappointing...

Upon arrival at the hotel with our group it seemed like the staff did not have a clue we were coming, even though Anna had booked a few rooms well in advance, and everyone else who had booked their own rooms had done the same. The rooms were not ready even though it was around the time of official check-in. As I have worked as a housekeeper in a hotel I thought this was unforgivable, but obviously the manager of this hotel wasn't as concerned as my employer was at the time.

After waiting around for ages we finally ended up storing our luggage in a conference room until the rooms were ready, so at least we could get on with our plans for the day.

Upon return we got to our room (shared with four people) which was basic but adequate. The bathroom had a double sink, a bath with a shower overhead and a toilet. There were some toiletries there but a shortage of towels which we had to get from reception ourselves. Again, I thought this could have been better as they knew there were four people in the room but there were only three towels...

After coming back to the room early in the morning after having been out all night it became very obvious how hot the room was and there wasn't much that could be done about it apart from kicking off all the covers. When I decided to take a shower I noticed that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned very well either, there was still used soap in the soap dish in the shower!

Breakfast was pretty basic, not a lot of choice in breads or toppings, except if you like jam... The "scrambles eggs" were one big chunk and didn't look very appetising, the bacon looked boiled instead of fried. As I have worked in the kitchen of a large hotel I know these items usually come pre-packed but you can still give them your own "stamp" as it were by adding stuff or even just stirring them up a little bit!

Having worked in tourism and hospitality for most of my working life I though the hotel left a lot to be desired. The customer service, the cleanliness and the breakfast could have been a lot better!

Tulip Inn Centre Leiden Overview

Tulip Inn Leiden Centre is situated directly across the Central Station and is within walking distance of the historical centre. Due to the central position of the hotel, it is easily accessible by car and public transport. From Leiden you can travel to Amsterdam, The hague and Amsterdam Schiphol Airport within 30 minuts.
The hotel is at walking distance from the historical city centre of Leiden. The city of the Golden Century, which has to offer many objects of interest, such as canals, patrician houses, churches and museums. At the same time the bulbfields and the coast in Noordwijk or Katwijk are worth a visit. For all of this, Golden Tulip Leiden is a comfortable and inviting location.

Tulip Inn Centre Amenities