Tucson Pops Orchestra

(520) 722-5853

Tucson Pops Orchestra Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Music Under the Stars! Sep 29, 2009
Sunday Night with the Tucson Pops Orchestra: an outdoor concert for all Tucson residents and visitors who can make it. This is the first time I'm attending this event in Tucson, apparently it is hosted a few times during the year and has been a focus and social event on the calendar for many Tucsonans. It is hosted at the DeMeester Outdoor Performance center at Reid Park near South Country Club Road and 22nd Street. The event is free but donations are accepted during the intermission. Matt, and his daughter picked me up at a quarter to 6:00 pm for the concert. The Concert that began September 13th will run for three consecutive Sundays: September 13, 20 and 27, 2009, the concert is referred to as “Music under the Stars” The Tucson Pops Orchestra music was conducted and directed by Laszlo Veres a native of Hungary who now resides in the great State of Arizona.

Since 1955 the Tucson Pops Orchestra has shared the joy of live music with residents of Southern Arizona. It was founded by Georges DeMeester a world renown violinist and his partner Ernest Hoffman who began by performing in various hotels around Tucson. In 1987 the DeMeester outdoor Performance Center was constructed and named after the founder of the Orchestra. Through the years the Orchestra has grown to include fifty musicians and an audience of a little over 8,500 for each concert. Last night a little over 8,000 people including me and quite a few family dogs (some dogs stayed quiet as their owners fed them popped corn and candy), joined Laszlo Veres to enjoy music under the stars. Only in the USA will you find dogs attending an Orchestra (what do you know of the free world huuh!). It was quite interesting to watch people have picnics prior to the beginning of the concert. The Orchestra performs in two seasons: In spring and in fall: The Spring season opened in May and run for three consecutive Saturdays. In the fall three concerts will be performed on September 13, 20 and 27 respectively beginning at 7:00 pm each Sunday

As a Tucson resident for the past two years, one would expect that I should have known about the orchestra, but I did not. If I heard about it, it did not strike a note in my excitement zone because I did not try to look it up or go to one last year when our meet-up co-organizer Jay posted one on the meet-up calendar. This year would have been no different had Matt not asked me to join him and his friends. I’m glad I joined him; yesterday the Pops Orchestra kept us all entertained and in awe during three hours of explosive musical talent. I heard the most heavenly music and instruments played to please the angels. I shall definitely return next year, the music was heavenly and the crowd quite a feast to the eyes. I must admit for such a big crowd, there was such quiet and calm even with younger children below the age of 5 present, great audiance all in all with a rather dramatic and comic conductor. I guess you can say the music calmed the crowd down.

Ah yah! The shooting star, how could I forget, I made my wish before I turned to Matt to ask if he had made a wish, he nodded with a smile and we silently continued with the concert, what a great evening it was.
The DeMeester Outdoor Performance …
The Crowd prior to the concert
The Crowd prior to the concert
Laszlo and the Orchestra
yadilitta says:
yes, I wish I could do that too. Eventually we'll meet. Hopefully sooner than later!!!
Africancrab says:
Thank you roomy, you are too kind. How have you been? I wish you could make it to the phoenix meet-up.
yadilitta says:
Congrats on your featured review, roomy! Great job!

Related Travel Blogs About Tucson Pops Orchestra

Tucson Pops Orchestra: Music Under the Stars!
As a resident of Tucson for the past two years, one would expect that I should have known about the orchestra, but I did not. If I heard about it, it did not strike a note in my excitement zone becau…Tucson for the past two years, one would expect that I should have known about the orchestra, but I did not. If I heard about…

Check Tucson Hotel Deals