Tucker House Saint George Reviews
Tucker House Museum Sep 08, 2010
The Tucker House is an excellently preserved Bermuda town house dating to the mid-18th century. It was built by Thomas Smith, a ship owner, trader, and tavern keeper. In 1775 it was purchased by Henry Tucker, the Colonial Treasurer.
The Tuckers were one of the earliest Bermuda families. The family had many connections with the North American colonies and Henry's brothers St. George and Thomas settled there. (The St. George Tucker House stands in Williamsburg, VA, and Thomas Tucker became Treasurer of the United States.) The family were players in the Gunpowder Plot incident early in the American Revolution. Bermuda wanted to continue to trade with the 13 Colonies, though the Continental Congress had banned all trade with British possessions. St. George and his (and Henry's) father plotted to steal British gunpowder stored in Bermuda and use it to supply the Continental Army. The trade ban was lifted.
The house today displays the main floor rooms. Mahogany and cedar furniture made in Bermuda and silver on display comes from Tucker family descendants and were used in the house. Original portraits of the Tuckers hang in the rooms. The house's high-ceiling design provides good cross-ventilation. There is an attached kitchen. An archaeological exhibit is on display in one of the cellars.
Highly recommended to visit for all the interesting and little-known historical facts you will learn and the Bermuda furniture to see.
Photography is not permitted inside. Admission is $5. A $10 combination ticket includes Vermont, the Tucker House, and the Bermuda Trust Museum.)
Part of the Bermuda 2010 travel blog
Part of the list Historic Houses
Part of the list UNESCO World Heritage Sites
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!