Tucan Hotel

Frente Al Bais Uvita, Uvita, Costa Rica

Compare Ballena Hotel Rates (7.8km away)

Tucan Hotel Uvita Reviews

Higton Higton
Feb 18, 2007
I feel slightly bad about this review because I was in a bit of a mood when I stayed here, however........

As in blog entry, you lied to me people. I was looking for a few days surfing on some simpler waves. If you think I am walking 50 minutes with a surfboard to a beach I have to pay for in the blazing tropical sun, think again. Especially as your board hire is the most expensive I have seen ($25 for a day?). I shall remember to read more carefully next time.

The hostel itself is alright, although I get the impression it is trying too hard. It feels like they have attempted to buy atmosphere rather than acquire it through just being (Mmm, that's a bit Zen - I know what I mean). Yes, it has hammocks, but they are much too close together so there is no swinging room. Yes, they sell beer, but they frowned at me when I went to get my fourth. I am English for Christ's sake, I can manage more than four poxy bottles of Bavaria Dark.

The place is built in what looks like a light engineering workshop. No problem with that, but trying to deck it out in ethnic type stuff seems so contrived.

It was good that it had room for tents in the back, the free coffee was nice and I suppose the preponderance of children might appeal to some (I fall in the opposite camp). And some of the staff were nice too, but it just felt wrong. Which is why I left. Interestingly, I spoke to some Germans on the bus to Dominical who felt exactly the same.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, I tried to book this place in advance. I simply asked if I could phone to book rather than follow their "email my credit card details" instruction. All they did was send what I considered to be a snotty email back saying "look what we put at the bottom of the last email". I guess that should have forwarned me.
View from a crowded hammock
Amanda says:
OK - so I've always thought your choices for tags were top notch; but "Zen, Lies, and Videotape"????

You have surpassed even yourself, sir...
Posted on: Feb 26, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Tucan Hotel

San Jose to Dominical
My sister and her friend Will had been in Costa Rica for a week before I arrived. They met me at the airport with a rental car and started driving to Dominical, with a brief stop for lunch in Jaco. B…Uvita. We stayed at the Tucan Hotel for a night and just chilled. Nothing too eventuful except that I almost…

Compare Ballena Hotel Rates (7.8km away)

Tucan Hotel Map