Tubing in Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng, Laos

Tubing in Vang Vieng Reviews

raphpransky raphpran…
Still fun, just less crazy Jun 16, 2014
Yes the bars have been closed down, but you can still have a great time here! It's easy to get a ride up the river from the people that rent a tube to you, and you can float down the river just without the craziness that used to exist. To ensure a good time, bring the craziness yourself! Alcohol and other enjoyable substances are available in town so grab what you want, and prepare for a great day on the river.

It does get cold as the day goes on so I would strongly suggest going around 11 (as opposed to later) so you're done before 4.

Enjoy!
vmehnert vmehnert
A Must-Do.... kind of May 08, 2011
Let's be honest.... if you go to Vang Vieng, chances are that you're there to "tube". The funny thing is, most people do the "tubing" experience without getting an actual tube. We got sucked into the laid back lifestyle in Vang Vieng and ended up spending 6 whole days there. While I DO NOT recommend going tubing every day (give your liver a rest), you absolutely must go at least once.

Most people stick to the first 3 bars along the river. At around 1pm, most are at the first bar. As the day goes on, the crowd migrates down to bar #2 and #3, all of which you can get free shots at. There's free welcome shots EVERYWHERE, and if you're a girl, forget about paying for anything.

There's swings and slides at most of the bars, but I only recommend doing those if you're fairly sober. When we were there, a kid went off the slide and kneed himself the face, resulting in stitches and a black eye that everyone made fun of.

We did actually rent a tube one day to get the actual tubing experience. Despite being a "drunken backpacker's town", Vang Vieng is BEAUTIFUL. Going down the river is an amazing way to view the scenery the town has to offer. If you do want to tube the WHOLE river, get an early start. We tubed for about 4 hours and still had quite a way to go.
russellcronin says:
Hi, great post! do you know if its still happening or has it benn closed down? cheers
Posted on: Sep 27, 2013
sunnil05 sunnil05
Lets get a little wet and very drunk :) Jul 09, 2011
No booking needed... just go to the bank and walk towards the river, the villagers have two companies in cartel alternating the service approx 100 m from the river. 55,000 kip for the Tube + 60,000 kip deposit). From around midday to 2PM is reasonable to go because earlier everone else would be still asleep. Look at the magnificent view of the mountains rising directly beside the river. Many beer and other pit stops along the way. Also, try the diving stop and the swing.
marianne86 marianne…
Fun on the river Apr 16, 2011
This is a crazy attraction!

We were told that this was the big thing to do in Vang Vieng. Being Norwegian, we didn't even know what tubing was, but we signed on, got on a tuk-tuk and headed for the river. As we got closer we could hear the party music. It turned out to be bars located along the river. You would get on your tube, and as you passed the bars, there would be people throwing you a rope, and dragging you to shore so you could visit their bar. People got more and more drunk as they travelled down the river. One bar had a "swing" - you climbed a ladder, held on to the swing and threw your self off into the river. Another had mud valley ball, and another a water slide. Crazy! But fun!!
FlyMeToTheMoon FlyMeToT…
Crazy exeprience- have to do it if you come Apr 18, 2011
This is a very crazy dangerous leisurely activity for this quiet little town. It's soo much fun.

It I very dangerous if you are negligent, and has caused many deaths. The only down side is that everyone going tubing and staying around town are tourists/backpackers. So it's another piece of beautiful Asia which has been infected with foreigners.

Related Travel Blogs About Tubing in Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng : Not 'In the Tubing'.
Yesterday evening I enthusiastically agreed to join Ian, Baskets, Mark and Nicole for a Tubing session today.  Buuuut on quieter reflection after we parted I know that undoubtedly fun (for a whi…Vang Vieng.  ‘Tubing’ for better or for worse is the activity that has seriously put Vang
In the Tubing.... Vang Vieng
  Tubing, tubing, tubing. I had heard about tubing from lots of different people I had met travelling and everyone said the same thing. Its brilliant fun! They failed to mention that your liver…tube.   There is a really good atmosphere in Vang Vieng while tubing. Everyone is there for a good…
The Requisite Vang Vieng Tubing
I'll admit it: Vang Vieng tubing was one of the reasons I chose to add Laos to my itinerary. However, I was thinking "tubing" more in the adventure sport sense, which it certainly was not. Vang Vieng…Vang Vieng tubing was one of the reasons I chose to add Laos to my itinerary. However, I was thinking…

Check Vang Vieng Hotel Deals