Tua Koin Eco Village

Tua Koin Eco Village - Common room

Tua Koin Eco Village Atauro Reviews

goezi goezi
Island life the natural way. May 27, 2010
Tua Koin is a locally run eco venture that allows visitors to enjoy the simple "island life" of Atauro Island, 25kms off the coast of Dili.

The eco village can cater for up to 16 guests at a time but I had the place to myself which made me feel very special indeed but also brought home to me the simplisity and solitude available on this beautiful island.

I was met by Duarte at the front gate. I had booked a bed with him a few days before so he was excited to welcome me off the UN chopper.

Duarte was a great host, keeping me informed and comfortable but allowing me the space to come ond go as I pleased. Each day I advised him of my dining needs. Meals are cooked for anyone wishing to dine at the village but I chose to take lunch elsewhere and only required breakfast and dinner.

The price per night was US$25, including food. The lunches I chose not to have were removed from the final bill making my two night stay a very resonable $44. Breakfasts consisted of greasy eggs, bread rolls and honey. Dinner was meat, veg and rice. Very satisfactory fare for a day of lounging about the beachside hut or a plunge in the tepid sea.

Tua Koin is situated 20 minutes walk from the main Atauro village of Vila or 45 minutes walk from the port village of Beloi. I walked to both places but they are joined by a sealed road and visitors can wave down a passing truck for a cheap ride. These trucks are few and far between though so another option is always negotiating a ride with a local fishing boat.

Tua Kion can provide a few modern comforts to those not so familiar with eco living; the toilet is a naturally composting privvy with a bucket shower/bathroom right next door. I found the mosquitos kept my toilet visits short as I am very careful not to catch any futher nasties from those little suckers and a bare bum, no matter how hairy, would surely be an enticing target!

Meals were served in a spacious common room were coffee, board games and a nice library is available. Power is by way of solar panels on the roof of each bamboo hut so everyone can enjoy a few hours of fun after the sun goes down if you need light for the purpose.

Push bikes and snorkel gear is available for a small fee as well.
Welcoming entry
Common room
My bamboo hut had twin beds and a …
A leap from my porch to the beach
Atauro Map