Tsodilo Hills

Botswana

Tsodilo Hills Reviews

Chelsea Chelsea
Tsodilo Hills Dec 16, 2006
We spent one of our days off (from crocodile research) in Tsodilo Hills. They’re three granitey outcrops sticking out in an otherwise flat expanse.

I count myself lucky to have seen Tsodilo Hills, because it’s about a four hour drive from Maun, the major tourist town. Because Tsodilo Hills was so far away, we almost had the entire place to ourselves - we saw one other guy there.

Being alone meant we didn’t have to crane our necks to see the rock paintings. My favourite painting was of a penguin. I wondered if the penguin painting suggested whoever painted it travelled far. Either that, or it was painted when the Okavango was an inland sea. Is that possible? I don’t know how long ago the area was an inland sea. The other paintings were of giraffes, antelope and other animals.

The paintings, and the general feel of Tsodilo Hills, reminded me of Uluru (Ayer’s Rock) in Australia. It too has rock paintings and is an outcrop sticking out of an otherwise flat expanse. Funny how I could be so far away from home, and yet find something so familiar.
Botswana Map