Tsamkhung Nunnery

Lingkhor Lho Lam 29, Lhasa, China

Tsamkhung Nunnery Lhasa Reviews

sweettangerine sweettan…
A peaceful Haven Jul 14, 2010
The Tsamkhung Nunnery is a friendly and welcoming monastery for women (nuns) south east of the Jokhang temple. It is located in the same street that leads towards the muslim quarter and the mosque, but it is not easy to spot. You will probably recognise it by the name "Tsamkhung Nunnery Souvenir Shop" above the Monastery shop right next door.

You would not imagine that the tiny entrance gate leads to the largest monastery in the center of Lhasa. More than 100 nuns live in this community.

There is an entrance fee of 30 Yuan but it is not immediately clear where it needs to be paid. We settled it in the small building just left of the entrance and in front of the main prayer hall.

The monastery buildings are beautifully decorated with lots of flowers and you can observe the nuns in their daily activities: reading , praying, carrying water...

We were free to roam the premises as we pleased and even went up to the prayer hall where the nuns were gathered and chanting. Though out of respect we did not enter the hall.

There's also an atelier where nuns are making something (I think it were wicks for the candles) and there is a restaurant where you can order a simple meal.

Right before leaving, two very friendly nuns invited us to come and take a look at a little locked up chamber. It turned out to be the meditation cave of Songtsen Gampo, (the founder of this monastery) around which this nunnery was built. What a great great honour!!!!

I can surely recommend to come and visit this friendly place and see the every day life of the nuns. Don't forget the monastery's souvenir shop, where you can help support the monastery.
nunnery entrance ticket
sweettangerine says:
I am sure you'd be invited! They can spot a friendly traveller from liles away :-)
Posted on: Sep 13, 2010
davidx says:
I don't think I should be invited in! However some nuns seemed perfactly friendly when Pam and I sheltered in their foyer from the rain in Umbria!
This is really interesting.
Posted on: Sep 12, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Tsamkhung Nunnery

Birds In A Cage
Note: The views expressed in this blog are entirely those of the author and should be read as they are intended; as the experiences that I had whilst in Tibet and merely my own reflections.This is o…Lhasa was the Tsamkhung Nunnery. For 30 Yuan ($6 NZD) you can visit the 60 nuns and see their daily…

Check Lhasa Hotel Deals