Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana

Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana Rates and Deals

Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana Reviews

Butterfly-Girl Butterfl…
Careful Now! Jul 28, 2010
On my frist visit to Cuba, my flight got in at 2am. I took a taxi to Habana Libre where my travel agent had booked a night's stay for me.

When I got there, the surly girl at the counter informed me that they had cancelled my reservation, and then secondly they don't take allow bookings over the internet or from the agent.

She then proceeded to tell me that she would check to see if their were any available rooms for me,ultimately finding one that was more than double the price of the one I had originally booked! (so the cost went up from US$60.00 - US$140.00) At that hour I had no choice so I took it. (Later on when I told my Cuban friend, he laughed and said that is typical in Cuba).

THe beds were soft and lumpy. But the view from the room I got was quite fabulous. Toilettries were also provided ( i gave those to the people on the street).

In the morning, I went out to meet some friends I met on the flight (who had made other accommodations), when I got back to the hotel ( minutes after 12pm) firstly the doorman refused to let me on the elevator insisting to see my passport ( apparantly I looked mulatto) and secondly he would not allow my friend to accompany me as she was not a registered guest at the hotel.

When I arrived at the room, it was locked (check out was suppose to be at 12) and they gave me some difficulty to open it for me to gather my things and let me check out! Fortunately one of the maids on the floor eventually opened the door for me.

Habana Libre (Prior to the revolution this use to be the Hilton- and most of the facilities are still from that time period) is a bit shabby, but they are doing restorations on it to make it much more up to date and modern. The lobby is nice they have lots of art work on display and have put up a bit of history...its not very comfortable to wait in though as they don't have many seats like other hotels do.

Surrounding Habana Libre are quite a number of ammenities the average tourist might like and need. Taxi service is available to the front, there is an internet cafe in the Hotel that I was able to pay and access, there is a call centre downstairs ( much more reasonable than the one on the end of the street) there is a money exchange ( but don't use that one, just walk down the block and turn left at the traffic light, there is another bank there, less people and very efficient and polite staff - closer to the malecon) Near it is the Kokopelia (and there is another money exchange booth there, when I wanted to change my CUC into local money I used that one) and across the street is a nice little bistro where u can get reasonably priced food.

For the best value though, I think staying in a Casa Particulares (on average US$25-35/night)is better, they food is much better too (with breakfast, lunch and dinner - almost all you can eat is about US$15-20.00).
1morespicy 1morespi…
Stay away from the mojitos!! Mar 09, 2007
The Tryo Habana Libre is located in the business district of Havana and was formally the Havana Hilton. My first impression of the place was good. It's quite a modern looking high rise building with a huge mosaic above the entrance. The lobby is big and spacious with a nice water feature.

Checking in was NOT easy. There was no queueing system at all, the staff gave the impression that they couldn't care less and they didn't smile once!

We eventually got a room allocated on the 11th floor. The lift area and corridors were very clean and seemed newly decorated. Our room was HUGE!! We also had been given a room with a beautiful view of the city. Unfortunately, the windows were that filthy you just couldn't see out of them at all. Trying to get out on the balcony to check it out was the next challenge. The sliding door seemed a little stuck so we stood at either end and had to proper fight to get the door open but once we did, were able to take in the stunning views.

The balcony was a bit dodgy though and a quick inspection revealed a crumbling stucture in need of some serious tlc.

The general cleanliness in our room was ok except for the bathroom. It was grotty and very old and worn. All the taps were corroded and the shower head attachment was only just attached to the wall! The last paint job was evident as there were paint splashes all over the bath tub!

We stayed for 3 nights so we got a chance to try some of the restaurants in and around the hotel. Their names escape me at this moment but they were all good and the service friendly. Every morning there was a big breakfast buffet which was included in the price of the room. The buffet was excellent and the choice extensive. It was on par with some of the buffets I've been to in Las Vegas! Never left hungry!

The hotel has a nice pool with full waiter service which was very nice. There are 2 bars. One in the lobby and one on the first floor. We'd got back from a long walk one day and decided to head to the lobby bar for a mojito. It was the worst one I've ever had. It had been watered down and the mint leaves were brown!!

The hotel also has a nightclub on the top floor and it's free for hotel guests. I really liked it. The music was great and they had people on the stage showing what dance moves to do to what song. And everyone in there were super friendly!

It wasn't a bad stay. The hotel is worn but not compared to the surrounding buildings. After speaking to holiday makers that were staying in other hotels it seems they had the same experience. I wouldn't NOT recommend it. Just be aware that the 4 star rating it's got there would not be a 4 star rating anywhere else.
The view from the 11th floor.

Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana Overview

The Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana can be found in the center of El Vedado. Guests of the hotel will find themselves near the University of Havana as well as Old Havana. The Malecon is also situated within easy reach as well as many historical sites. The Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana is located within a short driving distance of Jose Marti International Airport. The airport, as well as other Havana points of interest, can be easily reached by bus or taxi.

All of the guestrooms at the Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana offer climate controls. Minibars, satellite televisions, radios, phones, and safes are standard in all 572 guestrooms. Each room also offers a private bathroom with a hair dryer.

Guests of the Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Havana will find that shopping, dining, and leisure options are plentiful nearby. The hotel offers two onsite restaurants as well as three bars and a cabaret. Also on offer are eight meeting halls, a business center, a pool, tennis courts, and a salon.

Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Amenities

• Pool Outdoor
  • Coffee Shop/Cafeteria
  • Souvenirs/Gift Shop
  • Express Check-In/Check-Out
  • Late check-out (subject to availability)

Check Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Rates and Deals