Trout and Wine

266 Espejo, Mendoza, Argentina - 0261 425-5613

Trout and Wine Mendoza Reviews

osgoodst osgoodst
No Trout but Lots of Wine! Feb 21, 2016
So when in Mendoza your required to try some local wine. We ended up going on the Trout and Wine Tour, that is the name of the company, sadly no trout was consumed. What we did was visit a total of 4 vinyards, and on the third one we had a giant 4 course dinner, it was delicious. They come and pick you up at your hotel, hostel, or apartment in a giant van. The tourguide was a former english teacher, and what I liked about her is that she gave up dealing with obnoxious teenagers to drink!

The first vinyard we visited was called "Kaiken". The name reminds me of the great octopus "Kraken".

Kraken was a good start of the day. This vinyards claim to fame is that it is an "eco" vinyard. The big feature is it has roving bands of Chickens and Goats that patrol the facility and fertilize and defend the grapes against predators. They also have an aging Cellar where they play "Gregorian Chant" to the wine which helps it stay calm and age better. My favorite thing about this tour is that they have a trench where you go below grand and talk about the soil systems and root system. Overall very fascinating. We ended up purchasing a Malbec Blend to take back to the USA.

Next up was Alta Vista. This tour featured mainly wine production stuff and we didn't really walk among the grapes like the other one. I didn't like this tour that much because it reminded me of being at work! The tasting room was set up like a dentists office, and had a sterile feeling of it I didn't like. We also had extra people on our tour who were not in our group who were very pretentious and obnoxious. Sorry California, we don't care about your water crises. The highlight on this vinyard was sampling the Tempranillo wine, which is usually blended and super expensive.

After this we hit up Melipal where we ate a 4 course meal paired with wines.... mmmmm delicious. Cool thing at this site was a giant outdoor grill and a viewing platform (see photos). Most people had steak but I had the goat, it was a good choice!

Finally we went to Don Manual Villarane. This one had by far the best tour guide, but we were useless as we were all a drunken mess at this point. The cool part here is that we got to drink wine from various fermenters as it was aging.

Overall this was a great experience, and we slept well that night! One thing I didn't like is that it was not cheap, north of $300 for both of us, but totally worth it.
The kraken tour guide explain new …
bonnie with malbec leaf