Trout Lily Cafe

6th St. , Springfield, IL, USA

Trout Lily Cafe Springfield Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Don't Make a Special Trip May 12, 2010
A friend had recommended Trout Lily Cafe because they feature different quiches everyday and she thought they were really good. I hadn't gotten around to eating at Trout Lily until today. Being just after noon on a weekday in downtown Springfield, they certainly were not busy in the dining area, but I did have to stand in line. You place your order at the counter, give your name and then they will call you by name when your lunch is ready.

When ordering, I knew I wanted quiche and they had three different ones to choose from: feta and spinach, fresh asparagus, or portabella, ham and rosemary. I was having a hard time deciding between the latter two. I like to ask for the recommendations from waitresses, but this lady was not helpful at all. She was almost rude, coming across as though I was inconveniencing her. I decided on the asparagus, getting a half-slice with iced tea. Also at the counter were a selection of baked goods: cookies (double chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, and others), pecan gooey butter cake, scones, etc.

Trout Lily has an extensive coffee menu also. Mochas, frappes, cappuccinos, etc. I'm not sure if Trout Lily is a coffeeshop with a menu or a restaurant with coffee selections. There were several tables available, but I sat at the front window where a bar with three seats overlooked the sidewalk. Trout Lily is one of thsoe places that I was comfortable dining by myself. (You know what I mean. Sometimes it's just awkward eating by yourself.)

The quiche. Eh. It was okay. The slice was bigger than I expected since I'd ordered a 1/2 slice, and it was full of asparagus, they didn't skimp there. But, I thought it would be just the greatest thing I'd ever put in my mouth. But, it wasn't. It was okay, and if you're looking for something different, maybe eat here. But, I wouldn't make a special trip.

Check Springfield Hotel Deals