Tropicalia Brazilian Grill

Tropicalia  Brazilian Grill - Braziribs
Tropicalia  Brazilian Grill - Leanne & Mar

Tropicalia Brazilian Grill Los Angeles Reviews

Brazilian Flavors Spicing Up East Hollywood Mar 24, 2008
Tropicalia Brazilian Grill is adding South American "flava" to the now hip and trendy neighborhood of Los Feliz. Right next door to Italian and Japanese restaurants, Tropicalia Brazilian Grill's food speaks for itself...a DELICIOUS twist in Brazilian cuisine!:P

My cousin Mar and her friend Leeanne were in town for a visit and wanted to go out for dinner...twist my arm right?!? Leeanne is a foodie too and loves ethnic cuisine. Mar will eat anything as long as its meat. I was drawing a blank on where to I called mellemel8 for suggestions. Thanks Mel for the suggestion!

Tropicalia's indoor dining area is small...I think less than 15 tables. The decor is modest with rich and warm earthy tones and a small wine collection lining the walls. Brazilian music plays in the background but it doesn't intrude on any dinner conversation. The outdoor dining consists of 3-4 tables for 2 on the sidewalk.

Tropicalia's menu has something for everybody...beef, chicken, pork, fish, and shrimp. Vegetarians are out of luck...they only have 1 vegetarian appetizer and entree and 2 salad offerings on the menu.

To start we ordered Ceviche Brasileiro which was a mix of white fish and shrimp and marinated with lime, cilantro, and Malagueta (a hot and spicy Brazilian pepper). On the side were salsa and guacamole and corn chips. The ceviche was very flavorful and had a creeping spicy heat but it was good.

For our entrees, Mar and Leanne wanted to share the Brazipork but they were out. Instead they ordered the Braziribs...boneless beef short ribs

braised for 4 hours in pepper sauce, topped with a sprinkling of farofa, served alongside a fried polenta cake and pao de queijo (cheese bread), and presented in a small cast-iron skillet. Mar and Leanne really enjoyed their dish even if it wasn't their first choice. Leanne commented that she didn't even have to use a knife because the meat was fork-tender. They were both digging the pepper sauce and Leanne was tempted to lick the sauce from the skillet!

I ordered the Bife Tropicalia Molhado which was grilled beef steak served with a cilantro and Malagueta sauce, farofa (toasted yucca flour), all rice (I don't like black beans), and fried plantains. The steak had perfect grill marks and even though it was a thin cut of beef, it was still very moist and juicy. The cilantro Malagueta sauce was very yummy and added a refreshing kick to the steak. The farofa I didn't care was dry and to me seemed flavorless. The plantains were tasty, cooked well, and not mushy! And I had diet Guarna to wash it all down...yummy in the tummy!:P

I wanted to show Mar and Leanne more of the area so we decided to go elsewhere for dessert.

Tropicalia Brazilian Grill serves the Brazilian National Dish Feijoada every Thursday. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds yummy too!

The first time I ate here the food was just OK and the service was extremely slow for a practically EMPTY dining area. This time the service was quick even though the place was nearly packed. The food was even better the 2nd time around.

Parking is troublesome because you have to park on the surrounding streets and the area has other popular eateries and cafes so you have to contend for parking spots with other people dining out. Along Hillhurst Ave. there are metered parking spots. Finely and Clarrisa Aves. are residential streets so be mindful of the street signs and driveways. We parked on Franklin Ave. a short walking distance away.

Don't let the lack of parking deter you from trying Tropicalia Brazilian Grill...if all else fails, they do take out service too!
Ceviche Brasileiro
Leanne & Mar
maria58 says:
good food...good times...good company...!
Posted on: Apr 01, 2008
poohstanggt says:
HA HA HA. I was chatting with Mel when you called for the recommendation!!! LOL. Ok, add this to our "to do" list when I come home. :-))
Posted on: Mar 27, 2008