Tropical Trail Rides

Isabela, Puerto Rico
Tropical Trail Rides - The beach we rode on. Absolutely breathtaking!
Tropical Trail Rides - The barn behind house.
Tropical Trail Rides - The barn behind house.

Tropical Trail Rides Isabela Reviews

kissykrissy03 kissykri…
MUST DO outdoor activity Mar 15, 2012
I had never really given much thought to horseback riding, because I have this minor condition thing that makes me want to avoid large animals able to throw me to me sure death. However, I have been on a kick lately about trying new things and all that jazz so when i saw this flyer at a car rental place, I was all in. And by all-in, I mean I was basically outvoted by my friends.

This location offers only 2 tours per day at 9am and then at 4pm. We called ahead about 2-3 days prior to make a reservation (this is HIGHLY recommended). We chose the early morning tour and on the morning of, we had a tiny bit of trouble getting there by 9 and since we were only about 5 mins from the place, we called and spoke to Michelle who was kind enough to let us know that we should still come and we'd be fine.

Once we pulled up, there is a gorgeous home in the front of the barn and you can see all the horses that you'll be riding waiting off to the left on the property. everyone is led to a little seating area where you must sign a release form and pay at that time. The cost of the tour was $45(GREAT price for the quality of the activity). Just a note, there is a 230lb weight limit for this tour. If you are unsure and you think you might be close, the have a scale close by to sort that out.

Once payment and release forms were settled, we were called over to the barn to placed one by one with a horse.Now since PR in Mid-March, is 1000 degrees, I made sure I was dressed in shorts and closed toe shoes. One of the reps then shows/helps you to mount your horse and gives you a very quick lesson on how to "speak" to your horse. How to go, stop, slow down and steer. Once orientation for the entire group was complete, we lined our horses all in a row and off we went. we went through a private neighborhood which was beautiful and all what looked to be million dollar homes, then we were up a hill and through the trees. After a short time we were riding on the beautiful beach. This was clearly not a public beach as there were no other people but us the entire time we ride which made me feel much more secure that there wouldn't be a lot of distractions to startle the horse. The entire 2 hours of riding was AMAZING. Just you and nature and nothing else.

note: I have never been on a horse before and I am naturally an anxious person and i found this experience to be just fine. The horses are trained and very calm and just follow each other in a straight line. Every now and again they wanted to stop and eat but you're told to just push them along to keep up the pace. There is only one guide on each tour and he was at the front leading us. There were also 3 kids ranging from 6-9 with us and they were brilliant and seemed to do just fine.
The barn behind house.