Tropical Spice Garden

04-881 1797

Tropical Spice Garden Penang Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Garden visit meant for sunny days Feb 26, 2012
This place is supposedly in the Malaysian Book of Records (something we didnt know when we visited this place at that time). The reason we came here was because it was still early in the day (10 am) and we were staying at Tanjung Bunga. So we thought we check this place out to kill time.

The Tropical Spice Garden is located at Teluk Bahang. The only option was to take a cab since there is no bus stop anywhere near this place. It was quite cloudy when we arrived so it was a pretty cool walk, I did not sweat despite walking uphill :) The lady at the visitor centre gave us some oil to massage into my arms to ward off mosquitoes - boy this turns out pretty useful as I did suffer from some insect bites on my neck.

There was a variety of species of beautiful plants and flowers. We walked uphill towards the restaurant (Tree Monkey Restaurant) then the fun begins - it started to rain so heavily. We were stuck there for an hour or so! There arent much shelter spots along the garden trails so we had to stay there. On a sunny day, the view from the restaurant would have been perfect as you would get a good view of the sea.

The restaurant's main dining area was open space (dine alfresco) thus no shelter except that small cramp area where the kitchen and serving area was. There are cats around and 1 particularly kept coming by and refused to go away. So I had to stand since I fear cats. We couldn't order anything to eat as they had just open so the kitchen was not ready! Efficiency certainly lacking here! There is a gift shop near the restaurant selling spice plants and souvenirs.

The rain lasted the whole day actually but we werent prepared to spend the entire day here so we had to stand in the rain in order to get a cab which was also difficult as this place was kind of located at a corner of the round of bends along the road by the sea.

So if you intend to check this place out, make sure u either come by car or on a sunny day.
Cramp sitting area for shelter
spocklogic says:
That makes sense. I fear dogs and was attacked a couple times as a child. I just don't trust them anymore...
FoxyFauz says:
Oh yes I forgot 1 main thing - a black cat jump on me when I was at the market (I was 4 or 5 years old) so from then on all furry cuddly animals - I fear
FoxyFauz says:
They are just so cuddly (they like to twirl around your legs) that I fear them (dont know whether that makes sense). All my life I am only not scared of 1 particular cat - my late grandaunt's siamese cat because she is so fat she doesnt bother anyone!
montecarlostar montecar…
Aromatic and spicy! Nov 15, 2012
Our last stop for our touring day was the Tropical Spice Garden, a very large green area where you can admire lots of different species of plants and of course specially spices.

After walking through the jungle and taking a look at the different trees and bushes, they have an interesting workshop, where you can learn how to prepare different dishes with the many spices available.

They also have the most gorgeous bar with a view to the sea, in which I not only ordered my first Tiger beer, but also the most deliciously spicy Martini I had ever had!! It was the Tomyum Martini and I recommend everyone to have one of those, it was awesome!!! That alone was worth the visit ;) thanks for bringing me here, Kong!! :D
Me at the spice garden
With Kong after an intensive tour …
So so so delicious!!!