Trevi Reviews

davidx davidx
A fabulous Umbrian village - Trevi Apr 05, 2012
I first came across Trevi on which is by far the most informative site on Umbria I have ever found.

On another page the author rates it as the best place to stay as a base in all Umbria - quite something for a region that contains Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto and Spoleto but having seen three of these and Trevi, I can only applaud his choice.

It is a small town on the top of a considerable hill and has sought tourist visitors comparatively recently. When I was there a few years ago with Pam, my late wife, the town authorities seemed oblivious to the fact that the bus from and to the station at the bottom of the hill needed to beet the needs of visitors as well as local residents. I hope that is better now because there was no taxi firm in the village and it cost us an armand a leg to go by taxi what is really a short distance.

That's the criticism finished. The town may have nothing in specific buildings to compete with Orvieto Cathedral, St Francis's Basilica in Assisi etc but it is the position, the views, the old winding roads and the steps that are such a delight.

We were lucky enough to be there at the time of a free organ and tromba (sic) recital at San Francesco church, where they have one of Europe's earliest wall pump organs. We had certain difficulty following the programme and attempted to get understanding from others, all Italian. One by one they became confused but suddenly everybody knew exactly where we were. I forget how the last item was entered in the programme but it was something that suited the work - Jeremiah Clark's trumpet voluntary! Then we noticed where several Italian groups from the recital were going to eat and hence enjoyed a wonderfully tasty meal.
A fairly major road!
Interesting mural
Th Civis Tower (13th century)
From our hotel (the cathedral does…
Italy Map