Travelling with Ryan Air

Europe

Travelling with Ryan Air Reviews

ariwardani ariwarda…
A cheap option for air transportation in Europe May 14, 2009
Long time before I use Air Asia, when I was still in Germany, I got to know a budget airline named Ryan Air. That was the very first time I used a low cost carrier.

First of all, it was so cheap. The flight has zero cost that I had to pay a little penny only for the administration fees and taxes. To have a very cheap price, you have to book and pay at least 3 months prior to your departure date.

Unfortunately, they give away cheap tickets for flying on ackward time. In my case, my flight from Cologne, Germany to Rome, Italy was at 2 a.m. So, you have to manage to sleep during the flight. Otherwise, you will get sleepy all the day and the day after. It is also a disaster if you do not manage to book a taxi to take you to the airport. Finding a taxi at 2 a.m or so is not an easy thing to do.

One other weakness is that it departs and arrives in different airports than the normal airlines do. You have to be aware of which airport they use in order not to get to the wrong one.

Last, it does not give you any seat number. When you are boarding, everybody else just runs!! I feel amazed on how enthusiastic people in gaining chairs that are side by side with their family members/relatives/spouses/friends. For me, I don't care where I seat as long as I seat and not stand.:) So, it was me and my friend who entered the plane as the last passengers.

Another specific character of a low cost carrier: they do not provide you with meals. Nor water. You are not allowed to eat meal or drink that you bought from outside the plane. The only option left is that you have to buy from them. That's it.

To reduce the price, Ryan Air does not give you a boarding ticket. It only gives you a laminated paper, about 30 cm long, with its logo and the gate. During boarding time, they take it again from you. So, they can use that laminated papers for other passenger who will enter the same boarding gate again.

Well, that's all my impression about budget airlines. Hope you get the picture. :)
The flight to go to Rome.
ariwardani says:
That's why I was not in a rush like everybody else! Let's the faith give me the seat where ever it was!
Posted on: May 15, 2009
londonstudent says:
When travelling on my own, I actually like not having a seat number, because you can decide whom you want sit next to!
Posted on: May 15, 2009