Travelling with Air Asia

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Travelling with Air Asia Chiang Mai Reviews

elam elam
Comfortable and nice journey Nov 11, 2009
I think Air Asia is quite nice airline. There is a nice service. We flew with a new plane, so there were nothing to complain about it.

Our flight was to short to try something to eat. You can order everything from a catalogue just like in every cheap airlane.

The most important thing is that the plane was on time. The price was not so high - around 1200 BHT.

Only in the departure lounge for domestic flights there were not many duty free shops. It was quite dull waiting for a plane.
ariwardani ariwarda…
Affordable air transportation in Asia Aug 31, 2008
My first introduction with Air Asia was in year 2008. I have visited several places in the world by using other airlines. Usually, I took our national carrier, Garuda Indonesia Airways.

I had my first chance to try this airline when my husband's office had a gathering in Bali. I got half price of the package because some staffs cancelled their trip. So, I went to Bali using Air Asia as chosen by his office.

The plane was empty. We can sit wherever we want to sit. Everything else was just fine. Since then, Air Asia got my attention.

When I planned to go to West Sumatera in the beginning of 2009, I compared the price between Garuda Airways and Air Asia. Just for fun. I was shocked, because the difference was huge. So, I decided to use this airline. Previously, I have heard many complaints in newspapers or other medias about this airline and also happened to other budget airlines as well. That's why, a bad image about budget airlines nailed in my head and I keep on questioning whether the choice I made was right or not.

It turns out to be okay. Nothing goes wrong. The departure and arrival time is on time. There is no ackward flight schedule as in the middle of the night or so which is the best suitable for me since I bring children and sometimes elder people (my parents).

One thing to be noted: you have to buy the meal and the drinks during the flight because they won't let you eat or drink something you buy at the airport or any other places than inside the plane. The best option is you have to pre-order the meal online at the same time when you book the ticket. Don't try to save here by not drinking or eating during the flight. Not eating is still okay but I think not drinking, especially flight with long hours duration, you will get dehydrated soon.

Another thing to be aware is that you have to pay for the luggage. Each luggage max 15 kg costs IDR 30,000 (around USD 3) one way. If you want to save a bit, again, you have to pay the luggage cost online which only costs half the price. (IDR 15,000 / USD 1.5). Be noticed that they charge you on EACH of the luggage, not on the weight in total. For example, if you bring 3 luggages, weighs 5 kgs each, then you have to pay 3 times. But, if you bring a bigger luggages, weighs 15 kgs, which is the same weight as the first condition, you only have to pay for 1 luggage. So, different shapes makes different charges!

Another thing about Air Asia, the price is included taxes and fuel surcharge. Except in Indonesia, which you have to pay the airport tax at the airport and is not included in the ticket.

I tried once again using Air Asia to Vietnam and Thailand. It was okay too. Since then, I booked several trips to go to other places as well. I hope Air Asia keeps their performance since it gained an award from Skytrax as the world's best low cost airlines in 2009 recently. I really hope that it will not let me down in the future.

As their motto "Everyone can fly", surely it works well for us!
Going to Bali with Air Asia at the…
Martin_Austria says:
For my upcomming trip I booked 2 flights with AirAsia, looking foward how they are. Thankx for your review.
Posted on: Jun 18, 2012
ariwardani says:
Nanie, thanks for the info. I don't know the story behind Air Asia but I heard that they booked a sales record though we are in the world economic crisis right now...
Posted on: May 15, 2009
ariwardani says:
Christopher, I hope you're right; that Macau people are more polite than the ones in China (I don't know about Hongkong. I only stayed overnight there).

You're so right! Many of them are rude...Did you feel uncomfortable when interacts with them? Coz I did!!!
Posted on: May 15, 2009