Travelling in Myanmar

Travelling in Myanmar Reviews

johahnb johahnb
Important tips when travelling to Myanmar Jan 21, 2014
I travelled to Myanmar/Burma and it was truly an eye-opening experience. The last place that had such an impact on me was India, which I visited more than a decade ago. In Myanmar, nightlife is virtually non-existent; Streets are dead by 9:00p; Payment by card is unheard of; Trains should be placed in museums. That said, the people were amazingly friendly and I got help from the locals every step of the way. I wrote a full guide at but listed below some important tips to travellers.

1. Bring enough cash. Credit cards are not accepted.

2. Bring only fresh, unspoiled US$ bills...or you risk ending up with useless cash.

3. Airports generally tend to have the best exchange rates...surprisingly.

4. Travel by air where possible. Rough land transport conditions.

5. Myanmar is very dusty so be prepared to have a load of dirt at the back of your throat

6. Plan and book travel & accommodation in advance. We used

7. Mandalay is way overratedf (as opposed to other places in Myanmar, and that's my opinion).

8. If I knew better, Inle Lake would be my last stop and I would spend at least 2 nights there.

9. Invest in a backpack and a Lonely Planet.

10. Bring warm clothes as it gets cold at night, especially Kyaiktiyo and Inle Lake.
Inle Lake
johahnb says:
I liked mahamuni temple. I also travelled to u-bein bridge which was great! With Myanmar opening its doors to foreigners, the place will most definitely change fast. I just hope the people remain as friendly and the place true to its roots.
Posted on: Mar 22, 2013
Cho says:
Thank you for the compliments about my home country. I lived there for 33 years and still go back to visit regularly. Believe it or not, I have never been to Inle Lake! My hometown is Yangon the former capital. Did you fly direct to Mandalay? You are right about Mandalay. It's not on my favorite cities list. But I liked the palace and Mandalay Hill.
Posted on: Mar 21, 2013
johahnb says:
Inle Lake was by far my favourite place in Myanmar. I was there right after Mandalay, which was literally a breath of fresh air! You come from a wonderful country. :)
Posted on: Mar 21, 2013
johahnb johahnb
Splendid Bagan Jan 21, 2014
If you've always marvelled at photos of Bagan with its endless layers of stupas, I can tell you the feeling is enhanced a hundred times when you're there. It's simply unbelievable to conceive that an area of 42 square km can be home to over 2,000 stupas. They come in different shapes and sizes and we visited 20 of them in one day. I stayed in Bagan only two days but I believe that was enough to view most of the main temples. Roads are extremely dusty and while you can visit the temples in horse carriages, I would extremely recommend a proper car. Sunrises and sunsets are a must and I'm sure you'll get tips from your driver. While Bagan was impressive, my favourite place in Myanmar was Inle Lake. It's serenity and fresh air were much welcome after the dusty roads of Bagan. For photos and more about Myanmar, you can visit my blog:
Travelling in Myanmar Map