Travelling By Local Bus In Jamaica

Kingston, Jamaica

Travelling By Local Bus In Jamaica Kingston Reviews

sir_geoff sir_geoff
May 19, 2007
When in Jamaica last month, May 2007, I travelled from Kingston to Montego Bay by local bus. My cousins tried to talk me out of doing such a stupid thing, but I love to experience things that the locals experience. That was an adventure!!!!!!!

The local bus centre is simply an area where all the bus's depart from. Here about 50 mini buses wait to fill up before heading to their various destinations. A mini bus designed by its maker to hold 20 passengers will be filled to capacity with 35 assorted persons, all with their luggage on their knees or wherever they can fit it.

There is no predetermined departure time as the bus will only leave when every possible space has a bum on a seat. This can take anything from 15 min to 2 hours. As you are waiting various sellers will come around selling anything from mobile phone recharge cards, steering wheel covers, drinks and food.

Eventually when the last seat is sold, you head off to your destination with a driver who only knows two speeds. they being stop and full speed ahead. Going up the mountain wasn't so bad, but coming down at 130kpm around curves on two wheels and overtaking around bends with trucks on the other side coming straight at you, would test the endurance of a saint.

Once down the mountains and onto the beautiful northern coast we pulled into a service station for a quick 10 min break. The driver immediately got out and proceeded to tighten all the wheel nuts a full half turn. I think my beard sprang a few more grey hairs on that trip and the return journey.

All said however, I admired the skill of the drivers. I know I could not handle a mini bus at those speeds around those corners. They did as if it was nothing. Yet their life means as much to them as mine does to me. The whole trip cost me J$450 each way. Would I do it again? Probably

not. It would depend on the terrain.
Chokk says:
Sounds crazy - I am happy that I have rented a car - and I will let them overtake me any time
Posted on: Mar 23, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Travelling By Local Bus In Jamaica

Local buses!
Our final day in Port Maria.  Tidy up the apartment and farewell to our playmate Ruff.  He has fetched and destroyed many soft drink bottles and has been a good surrogate cocker spaniel for…bus to Kingston.  Now, all the travel books tell you not to catch the local buses in Jamaica

Check Kingston Hotel Deals