Traveling by Metro Light Rail in Phoenix

Phoenix, Arizona

Traveling by Metro Light Rail in Phoenix Reviews

montecarlostar montecar…
European convenience in America! Jun 30, 2012
I had quite a long layover at the Phoenix airport on the way back from San Diego, so I checked on TB about things to do in Phoenix. The first thing I found interesting was that the airport had a shuttle to the lightrail, so I decided to check it out.

The cost of the ticket is only $3.50 for an all day pass. I think the route is very convenient as it takes you to downtown from the airport in about 20-30 min. There are major attractions on the route, like the Chase stadium (home of the Diamondbacks), the Heard museum (near station 9) and others.

As the other reviewer said, nobody checks your ticket on the way in (just like the lightrail in Houston), but fines if you are caught without a ticket are from $50 to $500, so you really don't want to take the chance, besides the ticket fare is not really expensive.

I wish more cities in America would establish larger train systems like this one. It was really convenient for me to explore the city without having to rent a car or take a taxi.
Proudly with my validated all day …
The guide to the train (I got this…
The rail map
Phoenix downtown
montecarlostar says:
Haha I think the lightrail is pretty new... it was built maybe in the last five years or so
bobby_american_40 says:
I'm from nearby Tucson and didn't even know about that!
montecarlostar says:
Indeed, Andy!! :)
portia portia
Ditch the rental cal and travel by Metro Light Rail in Phoenix Jan 10, 2009
The Metro Light Rail is the newest public transportation in Phoenix, it just opened in 2009, and I was able to use it instead of getting a rental car for my business trip. You take a shuttle bus from the airport to the Metro stop, and then you buy a ticket. The 3 day pass was $7.50 for unlimited use, or you can get 1 day pass for $2.50. The machine gave change in $1 coins! It was the first time in a long while that I even saw a $1 coin, I got rid of them as soon as I could.

Nobody ever checked the tickets for all the 4 days of traveling on it, so it's the honor system, and there are no gates or other things either. When I arrived on a Sunday, the metro was FULLY PACKED! amazing, because local people were trying it out! But the rest of the week it was not so bad.

Due to the newness I suppose, I saw within the first day, 2 people falling! One big guy fell when he left the train on the platform, and another lady fell in the train car when it started moving and she wasn't holding onto anything. So that was kind of interesting. I never saw anybody fall in New York!

I suppose rental car companies are not too happy about it, since most people who travel on business to conventions downtown don't need a car any more! I think the trains can come more frequently than it did, it seemed a long wait at times (20 minutes).
Ticket machine for the metro, at e…
design on the platform
Train is coming into the station
Inside one of the train cars
ambientpm says:
I was stuck in Atlanta for 24 hrs...cancelled flight... Stayed night in hotel...stay in airport 8hrs next day! So I went on train that ran threw airport & saw the Atlanta Aquariam. I was nervous! But it some like u said...they need matero in ever airport with things to do all day simple pass.......for those stuck w layovers...I was nervous! But its a Awsome thing to see!
Posted on: Jul 11, 2012