Travel Inn Guesthouse Reykjavik

Travel Inn Guesthouse Reykjavik Rates and Deals

Travel Inn Guesthouse Reykjavik Reviews

mainhart mainhart
Mistake! Aug 20, 2011
The three of us arrived at the Travel Inn in Reykjavik for one night before our flight stateside. It was the weekend of a huge festival in the city that apparently all of Iceland was attending. When we arrived there was nobody to greet us. We called a number taped to the door (never a good sign) and someone came about 20 minutes later. This very overwhelmed man then informed us that the 2 rooms I had reserved were not available. He admitted it was their fault and gave some lame reason for the mistake. He then offered to us a one room suite for the three of us to share. This was not satisfactory since my brother and his wife are newlyweds! Talk about awkward! Then the man explained that since it was their mistake they would not charge us extra for the suite! I was appalled. I told him that I was not paying the same price for one room as I was for 2. I demanded to speak to the manager who eventually gave us a discount. Because of the festival I felt we had no choice but to accept the offer. Where else could we stay with no reservations? Now about the suite. It was very utilitarian. Looked like an old inner-city school classroom. Charming. The bathroom was tiny. At least the beds were reasonably comfortable. We wanted to have breakfast at the hotel, but the manager talked our ear off rationalizing his mistake and being very condescending. By the time he finished we had to catch our bus back to the airport, not that any one of us had an appetite after his nonsense anyway.
wanderlustdave wanderlu…
obnoxious and over priced Oct 13, 2010
The place itself isn't bad. It looks cozy enough, the bathrooms are spacious but the toilets are placed at a very awkward angle to the showers making it hard to take care of business. The beds are comfy but the pillows are basically nonexistant.

Now on to why I'm actually reviewing this place. The manager is a complete jerk. He is rude and goes out of his way to alienate guests.

When I first tried booking via phone he requested I send an email with the information for the dates I wanted booked and my credit card information. I did so and followed up a few days later with a phone call. He remembered seeing the email but was not currently at his computer and there for unable to confirm the booking. I called 3 more times over the next 2 months with the same result. I finally booked over to avoid dealing with him. This should have been my clue my stay was not going to be a relaxing one.

Upon arrival with a group of TBers he was flutered and struggling to control his aggravation with the check-in process, constantly saying this was the most complicated booking he has ever had. He also scolded us for going to eat breakfast since we had no previous stayed the night there.

After check in we settled in the common room to play cards and discuss our trip. This raised his boiling point even more. I cannot count how many times he told us the room had to be set and maintaned for breakfast the next day. You would have thought we were raiding his family's tombs by sitting in the COMMON ROOM.

The last couple days we stayed there were even worse. If you stay up past 9pm do not stay here. God forbid you have a conversation in the COMMON room past 9pm or move a chair, you will like us become a "horrible person" and he will not relent in badgering you until you've checked out.
esterrene says:
wanderlustdave says:
yea it really was a nice place, too bad the manager was such a meanie face
Globevoyager says:
hahahaha congrats on your feature! I liked the place, just not the Gestapo owner...
esterrene esterrene
The worst Hostel ever! Sep 30, 2010
There were so many things that was wrong with this Hostel...

We had a large group of 17 people and this place was both cheap and conveniently located near the bus station and downtown... Thus making it easy for everyone to meet up at.. PLus the owner was gonna let us store some of our extra items at the hostel in between our stays..

that was pretty much the end of the positives.

When I first arrived it was maybe 7:30 am. There was no one to answer the door and I was SOOOO lucky that the taxi driver was there to use his cell phone to call the owner.. There was actually a note on the door instructing you to call to be checked in...

I waited outside in the cold rain for at least 20 minutes before someone opened the door. There was then some confusion about my check in.. Not a good start..

The next day when more of our group began to filter in the Older man began to yell at us all.. blaming us for the crazy check in when it was he that made all the confusing mistakes and making inappropriate comments about the number of women in the group compared to the higher number of men.

I understand that a large group can be hectic, and we tried to be respectful of others. However, he really set a negative tone for our stay at the hostel. We tried to be respectful of his concerns, but everything would set him off. at first I thought his abrasiveness was due to his english skill, but that didn't seem to be the case as time went on.. He was constantly giving people dirty looks and telling us how horrible we were...

We had no idea what he wanted from us. There were no "rules" listed anywhere for us to see. though he kept throwing out new rules for us to follow.

We were not allowed to play cards in the dinning room, and there was no community room for guest to chill and relax. any amount of noise made would echo through out the place and we were told randomly one day that we had to be silent after 9.

we could not leave the back door slightly open while sitting outside nearby, but the owner would not give us enough keys for the door.. There was one key per room, but there were 2 to 4 people per room..

The place was not very clean.. It looked clean, but there was never anyone there to clean up the place.. employees maybe spend an hour or two there each day during the week. not enough time to clean up the place, finish paperwork and attend the needs of guest.

also during out first stay I accidentally left behind a bar of soap in my room's bathroom. when we returned at the end of the roadtrip I had the same room and my bar of soap was still there. Personally I find the gross. I hate finding personally items left behind in hotels like that. it makes me wonder about what else I will find..

If your going to Reykjavik there are 250 other houses to stay at.. I know this is a fact because the owner told me that himself..

Next time I will take his advice and stay elsewhere..
my room
the dirty shower
montecarlostar says:
omg this hostel sounds so horrible... I hope they run out of bussiness soon!
esterrene says:
either way he was mean! :(
Posted on: Oct 17, 2010
RJ82 says:
amber i dont think he was the owner.. just a caretaker..
Posted on: Oct 17, 2010
Globevoyager Globevoy…
Sep 30, 2010
The hotel has a great location. Less than 10 minutes walk from the city centre of Reykjavik. Opposite the Bus Station where busses arrive and depart from/to the airport and the Blue Lagoon.

The rooms are neat, bathrooms are alright, and the beds ain't bad. It's clean and rather noice proof and spacious.

Breakfast is oké. Bread, cheese, ham, jam, eggs and cereal. Milk, tea, coffee and orange juice. Included in the room price.

I got quite a good deal, because I booked about ten months in advance for a large group.

Even without a discount, the price is reasonable for Icelandic standards.

The hotel owner is a Gestapo member, or at least that's how he behaved. Yelling at us for no reason. Getting angry at us for things we didn't do and even for helping him by collecting the dirty plates from breakfast...

The assistent was a really nice guy.

Personnaly I would book here again, because the place is not bad.

Website of the guest house:
wanderlustdave says:
you left him off easy! actually there was a place that jeff ended up staying in after we all left that looked really laid back and nice, Reyjavik Backpackers right on that main street. wish we stayed there instead
schaap140 says:
it's not a bad review. I would come back to it again.
Posted on: Oct 15, 2010
matthew says:
He was a complete ARSE! 16 vouches for that
Posted on: Oct 14, 2010
ashishrb ashishrb
Oct 01, 2010
If you're planning on being quiet and staying in bed.. by all means go for it. Otherwise the manager will nag/hassle you for every bit of relaxed attitude you take. The location of the hostel is fairly convenient, but everything else is regular or sub-par.
ashishrb says:
haha.. i thought it was a draft and didn't realize it already got published :) but i like your review ;)
wanderlustdave says:
you were overly generous with your assessment.

let me show you how its done :)
saltycoco saltycoco
Average hostel ruined by employee's horrible manners Oct 01, 2010
This was the base hostel that the Iceland group stayed in Reykjavik. We booked a room for the first night and then for our last 2 nights. This inn is conveniently located close a to a major bus station in BSI which also provides tours around Iceland. And about less than 10 to 15 minutes away from the city center and sites around Reykjavik.

The place was well kept, breakfast was okay and consisted of the basic orange juice, tea, bread, butter, marmalade, ham, and hard boiled eggs. The room and bathroom were more than adequate for a hostel of this price range.

The problem was with the old man that worked there. He didn't know how to treat guests properly. Not only was he rude by blaming us for making this the hardest booking he has done in 30 years, when in fact he just didn't know to organize bookings accordingly and properly. I thought that was his way of being sarcastic, but it's not. It's his bad attitude. Upon arrival on my first day with the other guys, he was searching through piles of paper in the front desk looking for our booking confirmation. Dave, the guy in our group that dealt with the bookings was making sure he didn't charge us extra. But who knows, he probably overcharged us.

He's a also very strict about using the dining hall, and making loud noises. Maybe we were being a little too loud, but it couldn't be helped since there wasn't really a common area to hang out in, except the dining hall. Lastly he wasn't even in the hostel most of the time, so any questions or concerns either had to be called to him or we had to wait for him to get back.

Overall, average hostel, but I can't just recommend the service provided by that hostel employee, though the younger employee that worked there was pretty understanding. If you're traveling in large groups, then this hostel isn't for you.
2 single bed room
2 single bed room
the dining hall where we were yell…
matthew matthew
Hmmm A Little On The Edgy Side Sep 30, 2010
I do hope the chap we met at the desk is just an employee, and not a regular one at that. He was rude and obnoxious time and time again. I can't remember even staying anywhere where I was made to feel so unwelcome. The thing is.... I didn't get the worst of it! He took an even firmer line on other travellers than me.

The place itself is a good ten minute walk to the city centre, which isn't bad, but given the size of Reykjavik, it certainly isn't good either. The price was pretty decent and I can't knock the cleanliness of the place for the money. My gripe is completely with the service. If you can find a similarly priced option, take it, otherwise this will have to do. God forbid you go out after dark though. Even creeping in and the sound of your breathing will be too much and will cause a stir for the morning.

I can almost guarantee you will do something wrong in this man's eyes. He actually looks and probably invents problems. Basically - he's a dick.

Overall - I'll stick to the opinion that if you cannot book anywhere else at a cheap price, then it isn't too bad an option, but you will have trouble.

N.B. Though we had little interaction with them, the other members of staff seemed reasonably passive. However, seeing another member of staff is a bit of a luxury at the largely unmanned reception desk. Good luck at check in!
RJ82 says:
ah! nice one! british humour (spelled in british) is TOP NOTCH! you were telling the truth. Brits dont lie. hahah
matthew says:
Maybe we could just add an 'S' in front....
RJ82 says:
i dont like calling people H -itler.. so i just change the first letter.. plus Mitler sounds cuddly. =p
koticphreak koticphr…
Unless you like getting yelled at and kicked out, DON'T STAY HERE. Oct 20, 2010
I don't even know where to begin - the manager of this place is a complete A$$H0LE! He first started insinuating inappropriate things amongst the girl/guy ratio of our group. He then kicked us out of the kitchen at 9:30AM so he could start cleaning and then yelled at one of us for eating on the couch (finishing the meal we couldn't in the kitchen). He was overall just an unpleasant guy and kept calling us "terrible" and saying he couldn't wait till we were gone. He was our first impression of icelandic people, but we soon realized he's just miserable, everyone else was really nice. The place itself isn't bad, everything is decently clean and the rooms are decent sized. You can get private rooms (2 per room) with bathrooms either inside or just outside for a good price. But the manager of the place just ruins the whole experience!!! He literally kicked us out on the morning of our checkout...

Also, the breakfast that's included is pretty weaksauce. It gets the job done, but just barely.

Travel Inn Guesthouse Amenities

• Bicycle Rental
  • Excursions
  • Garden
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Free Parking