Trattoria di Roma

Via del Pozzo Delle Cornacchie 25, Rome, Italy
Trattoria di Roma - It's such a cool place to be - you felt you'd left the world and gone into hiding somewhere.
Trattoria di Roma - This was the night my profile pic was taken.  :-)
Trattoria di Roma - Views of the action...
Trattoria di Roma - Begin your night here, at Piazza Campo De' Fiori with champagne and good friends.
Trattoria di Roma - The beautiful, mystical Tiber River.  End your perfect night here on the bridge.

Trattoria di Roma Rome Reviews

Amanda Amanda
Dec 29, 2006
Ahhhh...Roma.

The Eternal City, home of ancient buildings, miracles of man, and a joy and appreciation for the good life that I have found no where else so far on my travels.

So to fully appreciate it, what do you do for the evening? Look up my friend Dario. Failing that, try to follow and recreate the path he took us on for one of the best nights I've ever had.

We started out in Campo de' Fiori, a rectangular piazza near Piazza Navona. There is a great place here to sit outside, order champagne, talk, order more champagne, and just... enjoy. We stayed a long time; I don't remember how long, but the sun set, and I know the 10:00pm dinner reservations were called and pushed.

Then, on to dinner, at Trattoria di Roma. It's walking distance from here. This restaurant is fantastic. When you walk in the door, there is a long bar on your right; but it's really more of a narrow hall that leads to stairs - the real restaurant is upstairs. They greeted Dario warmly, and then we all headed up.

The room was very cool, and very original; sleek and modern, the walls and lighting giving off an almost green glow. There was a minimalist feel, but not any forced way. The tables and chairs almost look like they belong in a very cool cafeteria. Silver racks act as barriers to other sections. Walls are covered in woven iron, copper, steel, and rope - Chef Filippo La Mantia felt these materials represented the "slow cooking" movement he so believes in himself.

This place seems to exist for the people that already know about it; try as I might, I can't find any website for it. The entrance is unassuming. It has a very A-level celebrity clientele list - John Travolta, Scarlett Johansson, etc, and seems to just want to focus on the people that already know about it, walk up these stairs, and find their way to this exclusive little hidden clubhouse.

And focus on them it does...

Starters include dishes such as Potatoes croquettes with cheese and mint, Raw fish with cherry tomatoes, basil and dry tomatoes, and Sardines' cutlets with cherry tomatoes and mint.

First courses include Pasta with crushed oranges, basil, eggplants and Sicilian cheese, Pasta with seasoned octopus with lemon and fennel pesto, and Bavette with red mullets' ragout

Second courses lead you to Veal filet filled with eggs, boloney, pine nuts and wild fennel, Fish balls with cherry tomatoes, capers and Marjorie, and Little squids with broadbeans and peas.

Finally, reaching your dessert, where to start? Hot chocolate cake, with red wine sauce? Spuma di pistacchio (pistachio cream)? Pineapple ravioli with berries and almonds' savarin?

Finish with the coffee. It's some of the best you can have.

It’s not a cheap meal – without the amazing wine, plan on $70 to $90 US a person for full courses. But as part of this special night, you’ll love it.

**Editorial note**

Once you leave this very special dinner, go down and take a walk by the Tiber River. Stand on one of the bridges, and let the reality of being in Rome, and the perfect night of Champagne outside in the Piazza, and then dinner at this special place sink in - like it even can. I mean, this is THE TIBER running under your feet. Ancient. Beautiful. Forever.

I wish you a night in Roma that brings you all that mine brought me; a profound sense of peace, a deep sense of happiness, a precious friendship that will last a lifetime, and a wonderful dinner, at Trattoria di Roma.
It's such a cool place to be - you…
Views of the action...
This was the night my profile pic …
The beautiful, mystical Tiber Rive…
travelman727 says:
Amanda, your review makes me itchy to pack my bags and head back to romantic Roma! I'm ready to retire and move to Italy's Amalfi Coast... (The spirit is willing, but the bank account is weak)
Posted on: May 11, 2007