Trattoria dai Pacheo

Strada Nova, Venice, Italy

Trattoria dai Pacheo Venice Reviews

mainhart mainhart
Pesto & Pork! Sep 23, 2011
Venice has many many many places to eat. Some great, some OK, some quite boring and geared strictly for the tourists. However, if you leave the Piazzo San March and Realto areas you can get some great food at reasonable prices. One such place is the Trattoria dai Pacheo. My buddy and I happened upon it while looking around the Ca d'Oro area. It is on a main street The Strada Nova which eventually connects to the Train Station, although it is nowhere near that. It looked quaint, and the elderly waiter showed us the menu which featured a 4 cheese fetuccini which I had to have, so we sat. We sat at a table outside to people-watch (nothing like people-watching in Venice!). The restaurant inside did look quite cozy though. We got some nice house wine (which is cheap in Italy) and my first course was the 4 cheese fetuccini and my buddy's was with pesto. As much as I loved mine (I'm a mac & cheese fanatic), his pasta was sublime perfection. As a main course we ordered polenta with pork shin. I didn't know what to expect. But it smelled amazing and when it came out I knew I was in Heaven. The pork (my favorite meat) fell of the bone and had the perfect amount of salt and herbs. The polenta absorbed the juices perfectly. It was an almost perfect meal. We both loved the place so much that we returned a few days later and this time it was perfect as I ordered the pesto. I have told everyone who goes to Venice to eat at this place but it is so easy to get lost and overwhelmed in Venice nobody could find it. Last summer I was with my cousins and the last night we were there I was able to find it (2 years had passed) and the same elderly waiter greeted us. My cousins ordered salads and seafood, despite my ravings about the pork and pesto. I have to admit I was worried that my memories would be corrupted if the food wasn't as good as I remembered. My cousin warned me that sometimes its best to leave well enough alone. But I had faith and when my food came out, my fears disappeared. The food was exactly as I had remembered. My cousin told me about how good his grandmother's pesto was. When he tasted mine he asked "Wow, so that's what Pesto is supposed to taste like?" They were also very jealous of my pork shin. In a testament to my love for my cousins I let them have a taste, albeit a small one! Let's not get ridiculous, I'm not a saint! The restaurant, while not completely off the beaten track, is not overwhelmed by tourists. It's easy to miss. It looks like a million other places. But it's pork and pesto are one in a million.

UPDATE: Sadly as of 2013 this restaurant no longer exists.

Check Venice Hotel Deals