Trattoria Volare

www.volarecafe.com - (415) 362-2774

Trattoria Volare San Francisco Reviews

worldcitizen worldcit…
Oct 20, 2007
Even though there are a million and one Italian restaurants in North Beach (some call it San Francisco's Little Italy) to choose from, many are overflowing on weekends and don't take reservations. We were celebrating a friend's birthday and pretty much chose this place because they let us a make a reservation for a large group at a decent time. It turned out to be a cute place with a very friendly staff. It's a good place to go with a group.

The hosts and wait staff are Italian which definitely adds to the atmosphere. If you have to wait (I didn't because I am terminally late and was the last to arrive) they have free bruschetta. I felt like eating shellfish with pasta in a light sauce but didn't see anything that fit my appetite on the menu. So I asked the waiter for linguini and mussels with white wine sauce (not on the menu) and they made it for me with no problem. It was very good with just the right amount of salt (I find that Italian food in America is either too salty or has barely any salt) but I wish the mussels were a tad bit fresher. We also had a carafe of house wine which was cheap and good. Just to let you know, many items in the restaurant are $1-$3 more than they are listed on the website.

When we were leaving, the hostess heard us mention that it was someone's birthday and wondered how we could have left without singing Happy Birthday. She told us to wait and went inside to get a birthday cake candle and lit it. Then she made my friend stand on a chair while she sang Happy Birthday to her in Italian and had her blow out the candle at the end. It was really funny, especially because it was on the busy sidewalk of Columbus Avenue. So while this restaurant may not be the most fabulous place you'll ever eat, the food is good and the atmosphere is great.

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals