Transfagarasan

074 431 4123

Transfagarasan Reviews

Aaron101 Aaron101
Transfagarasan Highway Oct 12, 2014
Being that I enjoy driving about a zillion times more than shuffling from one airport to the next, it was natural to add this famous road on my trip to Romania. You do need ample holiday time for any kind of tour in Romania due to distances and needing to slow to 30mph when passing through a town or village (often); I ended up driving about 10 hours per day in my few days between Budapest, Sibiu, Brasov, Cluj, and back to Budapest. But those hours included stopping to take in some truly amazing scenery and cool towns and villages along the way. The Transfagarasan even by itself would be enough reason to visit Romania. The full stretch between Sibiu and Brasov taking in the well known squiggly bit, up to 2,000 metres, awesome mountain scenery, and coming down the other side was the real surprise - beautiful winding drive around the long lake, a dam at the far side, a well deserved metallic statue / monument to the Romanian human endeavour, then to Dracula's castle (the real one), old fashioned villages, stunningly beautiful hilly driving, Dracula's castle (the fake one, but nice looking), then Brasov. Kudos to the amazing woman I noticed cycling the whole distance by herself. Wow. I drove both ways on separate days. Unfortunately because of the driving I had hardly any time to check out the cities I stayed at, but enough to appreciate Romania as a really friendly and vibrant country.
Jigg Jigg
The Transfăgărășan Road Nov 23, 2013
The road was constructed between 1970 and 1974. At the highest point it climbs to an altitude of 2034 meters. There aren’t many best-road-in-the-world lists that don’t include this road as one of the top picks. Because of the snow the road is closed from late October until late June (or depending on the weather). Having gone there in late September I was worried the whole time, even after we have passed a few of the green “open” signs just outside of Pitești.

The road is about 100 kilometers long. On the way it passes some interesting sights, such as the actual Vlad the Impaler castle (inspiration for Dracula), Lake Bâlea and a couple of interesting villages.

There is not much traffic on the road, since going around is a faster and more comfortable option for most destinations – our GPS set from Pitești to Sibiu kept sending us back halfway up the road.

There's some accommodation and restaurants along the road, but the further you go the scarcer they become. There are stalls on the summit of the road, where they sell all kinds of foods and drinks and more.
Small waterfall by the road.
Stalls selling food on the top.
Jigg says:
Great scenery. Yosemite is on my list, the next time I visit USA :)
Posted on: Nov 24, 2013
Hummingbird says:
We have one kinda like that over Tioga pass out of Yosemite, but not quite the number of curves. But beautiful to drive, and only open in summer. :)
Posted on: Nov 23, 2013