Train rides in Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand

Train rides in Thailand Bangkok Reviews

sshaunaa sshaunaa
Train rides in Thailand Jan 27, 2010
I've now taken two 2nd class sleeper trains in Thailand. The first, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (approximately 700 baht), and the second from Bangkok to Surat Thani (approximately 600 baht).

The second class sleeper trains have "compartments" with two (slightly less than) a meter wide bench chairs facing each other, with the option of dropping down a table top. Once the train gets moving, workers come around and set up the beds. They do this by collapsing the two seats to form a bed for the bottom bunk, and pulling down the top bunk that is hiding above. The employees then put a fitted sheet on the top and bottom bunks and put a pillow case on the pillow. They also leave a blanket wrapped in a plastic bag. The top and bottom bunks have curtains that can be closed, which is the only thing between you and the aisle.

If you have a top bunk, there is a gap of about 4 inches between the ceiling and the curtain, so the florescent lights that stay lit all night sneak in. I bring a eye mask to block out the light and ear plugs to help drown out the noise.

In each railcar there are two sinks and two toilets. I discovered this time that one toilet is a squat toilet and the other is more western style. I say more western style since both are open to the track below, so anything going down the hole goes straight onto the tracks, but it has a toilet seat to sit on.

Storage for your luggage is on a metal rack next to your bunk, on the aisle side of the curtain. For security reasons, I lock it to the metal rack in case someone wants to take off with it. I also sleep with my purse and laptop between me and the wall. I may be being paranoid, but I haven't had anything stolen on the train yet.

The only real negative aspect of taking the train is that both times they were late. The train to Chiang Mai was an hour and a half late and the train to Surat Thani was almost 2 hours late. If you're arriving in a town with no set plan, the time saved by travelling overnight is well worth it. If, however, you are trying to catch onward transportation, this can cause a problem. Because we were so late we ended up paying 1,500 baht for a taxi from Surat Thani to the Don Sak terminal in order to make the ferry in time, as opposed to a much cheaper bus ride.
sshaunaa says:
I wouldn't expect to make it to your destination on time! :)
Posted on: Feb 05, 2010
sylviandavid says:
nice job of telling us about trains...and delays!
Posted on: Jan 28, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Train rides in Thailand

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…Bangkok . The guesthouse gave us a lift to the station. We had a good sleep on the train.   Wednesday 19 th June 2002   Arrived in BKK early…
Sleeper Train from Bangkok to Laos
If someone asks you if there is a train that connects Thailand and Laos you should say YES. The trainride was actually a connecting ride that looks like this: Bangkok-Nongkhai and Nongkhai-Thanaleng(…train that connects Thailand and Laos you should say YES. The trainride was actually a connecting ride that looks like this: Bangkok

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals