Jeju, South Korea

Traffic Jeju Reviews

yunheng yunheng
Driving in Jeju Jun 09, 2014
I drove during a recent trip to Jeju Island. It is my first time driving overseas (and on a different side of the road), and I'm glad to say that it has went well.

Here's some tips on driving in Jeju (highly recommended, you get to cover more places in a day).

1. There are several rental companies on Jeju Island; the two more popular ones are AJ Rentacar (AVIS Partner) and KT Kumho (Hertz Partner).

Here's a very important money-saving tip:

Do NOT rent your car as a "Guest" of their website. You should register as a member. It's free and you get to save up to 90% on rental fees.

I spent only 57000W in rental for a small Kia Morning including insurance for two full days. You should get full coverage insurance (i.e. the most expensive) - it lets you drive with a peace of mind and covers practically everything from scratches to accidents.

2. I recommend getting a LPG Car. Electric cars are available too, but charging stations seem to be rarely seen - I've only spotted two during my two days of driving. Petrol cars are available if you can't find an LPG one.

LPG is about 1200W/Litre and Petrol is about double of that. Just be sure to pump the correct type of fuel!

3. Most rental car companies provide a GPS. The GPS works by entering the phone number of the place, so do record down the phone numbers of the places you want to visit!

One thing to be sure of is that you get the phone number of the attraction itself, not the general tourist hotline.

You can also enter Korean characters into the GPS to search if you know how to type Korean.

4. Roads are pretty well maintained and the road signs are well located - once you're heading the correct direction, you'll probably see signs leading to the place you want to go.

5. Outside of Jeju City, you won't see much traffic. If travelling from one part of the island to another, try avoiding the city; you'll have a much smoother drive.

6. The speed limit is 60-70km/h, depending on where you're at.

Speed cameras are aplenty; the locals know where they are and hence slow down just before the cameras, but I simply stayed at the speed limit and allowed them to overtake whenever possible. (Hint: Cameras are usually located right after a down-slope)

7. Use your GPS/Maps, go off the main highways if possible! The smaller roads by the shoreline is beautiful and the roads are smooth too.

8. In the city, parking is generally free - though all the cars are parked very closely to each other and it takes some skill to maneuver out.

Parking at attractions however is another case.

A general rule of thumb is:

- Parking is free when you have to pay for an admission fee

- Parking is not free when the attraction is free. However, the parking fees associated with these places are usually nominal. I've only paid at most 1000W.

9. You may experience heavy fog while driving in Jeju - at least I did. I could barely see the car in front of me. Just slow down and turn on your hazard lights, you'll be fine!

10. The rental companies provide shuttle buses from the Airport to their respective locations when you rent a car from them. You do not have to worry about getting to the place.

I rented a car for two days for 57000W. Over the two days, I drove over 250km and spent almost exactly one tank of LPG. I visited two parts of Jeju - Seogwipo and Seongsan. The LPG cost was approximately 32000W.

Total cost was slightly below 90000W.

I would have spent 85000W or so taking a combination of buses and taxis had I not rented a car. I wouldn't also have been able to so conveniently move from one place to another!

Overall, if its your first time driving overseas, Jeju Island is a great place to drive. There isn't much traffic and the locals are pretty patient with "tourist" drivers.
trippin_jen says:
Wow you are good! How did you get the idea to drive there? It's quite uncommon but based on your info, it's a great deal! And the tip about registering as a member and save 90% of the fees is a shoutout! A very good write-up!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2014

Related Travel Blogs About Traffic

Meg Meets Mach Speed
Yesterday was a blast.  A BLAST.  I could meet Santa Claus tomorrow and I'm not sure it'd top yesterday.  (Actually, that's not true.  I'd be stoked to meet Santa.  I'd like …traffic in downtown Jeju-si.  How's that for sink or swim? The boys babysat me for most of the trip…

Check Jeju Hotel Deals