Traders Hotel, Penang

Traders Hotel, Penang Rates and Deals

Traders Hotel, Penang Georgetown Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Great city hotel for exploring George Town Jun 25, 2013
My wife and I stayed at Traders Penang in May 2013 for 3 days in May 2013. We chose this hotel as it seemed to be a decent hotel in the George Town area and we wanted to explore the historic city center for a few days. I also chose it as I’m a Jade member in the Shangri-La Golden Circle program.

We took a taxi from the airport in the south of the island to the hotel and it was a fixed price of 44 Ringgit (14 USD) and it took about 30 minutes. The lobby was open with large chandeliers and marble floors. Check in was fast and we got 1419.

When we took the elevator to our room we were a bit annoyed to see that we had gotten a room right across the corridor from the lifts but this was not a problem at all. The room did seem a bit outdated upon entry to the room but I had read the reviews in advance so I was prepared for this. The walls were a combination of light wall paper and dark brown wood and the floor was wall to wall carpet. The center in the room contained a HUGE bed and the sleep quality was excellent. As a Jade member I had gotten some welcome gifts and it is always great to get some sparking water. There was also a mini bar with various items and the Coke was 8 Ringgit ( 2 ½ USD). Free Traders water in bottles was also provided.

As usual there was a desk, an old style TV and a water boiler with coffee and tea. The wardrobe also contained a safe, robes and iron/ironing board.

The tiled bathroom was OK with a shower option in the bathtub but I’m not a fan of the shower curtain option. But the bathroom did contain the usual amenities that I’m used to from Traders in KL (shampoo, body gel, conditioner, lotion etc). The view from the room was not that great as we look right across to a construction site but again we were not bothered by the noise from this place.

After we checked in we took some time to try out the gym at the hotel – it contained rowing machines, thread mills, stationary bikes and weights and the pool was right outside.

Breakfast at the hotel was according what I would expect from a good 4 star hotel in Asia. A selection of bread, cereal, juices, eggs etc. But what impressed me the most was the service – when I had breakfast the first morning I went alone as my wife Nikki was not feel great due to a cold. So I tried to balance a tea and a croissant out of the restaurant and a manager stopped me and I explained the situation. He told me to put it down as he would send someone to my room and soon my wife got a croissants and tea served in bed in the room. The same guy also told us that we had to try some local stuff (like roti chanai) so I got the impression that he enjoyed his work with helping and communicating with people.

The location of the hotel is quite good as it is just in the outskirt of the historic city center. We walked all over the place but if you want to take a short cut remember that there is a free bus service from the Komter area (where the hotel is) to the jetty and most taxis seems to have a fixed price of 10 ringgit within the city center.

Conclusion: The room was a bit outdated but we enjoyed the stay at Traders in Penang as the location is pretty good, breakfast is good and the service was very good. If you are going to check out George Town for a few days this hotel is a good option.
Welcome gift
TV and desk
Mini bar
Complimentary water and boiler
clairesun clairesun
Decent stay Oct 05, 2012
The hotel is sits in the heart of Georgetown. You can find both KOMTAR and Pranglin mall next to them.

We encountered some minor issues during check-in when we had to waited longer than usual, and were given a non-smoking room that stench heavily of smoke. They were quick to fix the problem though. I would say that the overall stay was pleasant.

Room is spacious and the bed is comfortable! The receptionist was kind enough to help me process a some photos and assisted to post them out as postcards too :)

One of the plus point for me is the free shuttle services Traders offers to their sister hotel at Batu Ferringhi. Over there you get to can either use the hotel facilities or just pop by the beach and laze your day away.

While Traders hotel may not necessarily offer the best bang for your buck, I would still recommend them to fellow travellers for their good location.
heilong heilong
Good hotel in Georgetown Dec 26, 2010
This hotel is strategically located if you want to stay in Georgetown and explore the island from this point. It is right by the Komtar complex which is a central terminal for many of the KL Rapid bus routes. In addition, Komtar includes a large shopping mall and plenty of places to eat. Other points of interests in Georgetown are a short cab ride and walkable from the hotel.

The hotel itself was pretty good. The room and bathroom were on the small side but still comfortable. I found the service to be helpful and quite friendly. Wired internet was provided free of charge. Wifi and breakfast were also available for surcharge. There is a fitness room and swimming pool but I did not have time to check them out.

Due to the relation with the Shangri-la Golden Sands Resort on Batu Ferringhi, free shuttle service is provided between the two hotels so that customers of the Traders hotel can enjoy the Sands Resort as well. It's ideal for those who want to stay in Georgetown and still experience some Penang resort fun.

In conclusion, I would recommend this hotel... it's neither cheap nor luxury, it's just good value.
Traders Hotel Room in Georgetown
Traders Hotel Room in Georgetown
williamsworld says:
sometimes good value is all you need
Posted on: Dec 29, 2010