Tracy Arm Fjord

Alaska, United States

Tracy Arm Fjord Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
A Must See in Alaska! Jul 05, 2008
When I was researching stuff to do in Juneau, I kept coming back to this all day cruise through the Tracy Arm Fjord and to see Sawyer Glacier. I read this part of Alaska is known for the largest icebergs in the state and I thought this would be a great trip to really give me the overall feel of Alaska and why it is such a popular destination.

OMG...there is not enough I can say about this trip and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I would consider going back just to do this again and definitely am ready to do a full Alaska cruise with another week long land excursion.

There were several tour companies that offered this but the guy Keith and I had been talking with at the place we did our whale watching through recommended one in particular, Adventure Bound (separate review to follow).

Tracy Arm Fjord is breathtaking and definitely one trip not to miss. If you only have one full day in Juneau, I highly recommend this as you get to see wildlife, whales, and gorgeous scenery. The fjord is part of the 30 mile long Tracy Arm - Fords Terror Wilderness region which is about 60 miles southwest of Juneau.

There are hundreds of waterfalls as you cruise through the fjord. We had a pretty large group on our tour and as we entered the fjord on our way to Sawyer Glacier, everyone was silent and just awestruck. It is rumored that famed naturalist John Muir compared the granite cliffs to Yosemite, giving higher praise to the fjord.

The beginning of the trip started with both orca and humpback sightings along with more baby bald eagles than I could count. As we cruised along most of the time in silence, we started to see some small ice chunks in the water and people started jumping up to snap pictures and then we looked ahead and I think my jaw literally dropped. We were approaching just a sea of giant icebergs which were this incredile deep blue color. Each one had such a unique shape and this mesmerizing beauty that I was speechless. Everyone instantly became quiet as we approached the bulk of them and all you could hear was the water dripping off the ice and the sounds of the baby bald eagles perched atop some of the icebergs.

As we traveled in the fjord, we saw hundreds of waterfalls and just beautiful scenery. Although we didn't get to see any mountain goats, I was thoroughly excited by what we did see.

The highlight of the trip is stopping at the twin Sawyer Glaciers. We tried to get close to the first one but there was just too much ice so we backed out and went on the other side of it, where we experienced some minor glacier calving.

The route back offered a little different scenery on the other side of the fjord and almost reminded me of hot springs with the beautiful turquoise misty water...although we felt how cold it was - no hot springs there! LOL

As you can only post 10 pictures on a review, please see my accompanying blog entry as there are about 200 pics of the various fjord scenery!!
Iceberg headed into fjord
Another iceberg as we head into th…
Jack Falls