Town Centre

Town Centre - Aachen City Hall

Town Centre Aachen Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Old Rich Beautiful yet with an international appeal Oct 16, 2011
My German friend brought me here for a day trip. It was like a 45 min drive from Cologne if I recall correctly. Based on what I had read, this is one Old city. Its quite small in size but the feeling of being in this very old town, very religious (there are so many churches) with medieval architecture is just amazing! Especially for me coming from a very young modern island (country).

Upon my arrival, I was greeted by this very gothic City Hall and the water fountain. Then there is the famous Aachen Cathedral - very beautiful glasswork and gold carvings. I am not catholic or christian but there is something about that Church - it just gives me a very peaceful feeling to be inside it.

You have seat in those cafes to drink beer and just people watch. There are modern restaurants and bars lining up the streets as well I think this is to cater to the huge population of University students. I must say I am surprised to see people from all kinds of races here! I was told the Universities here are pretty good so it attracts students from everywhere.

Also must try are Aachen printens - I like the original flavour which is pretty much gingerbread as well as the chocolate dipped kind. I must say its the smell that draws me to the beautiful little shops selling them.
Aachen City Hall
Me by the fountain in front of Aac…
Inside the Aachen Cathedral
niphredil niphredil
Sep 12, 2006
Quintessential old European town. I suppose since I'd just newly arrived in Europe after a good three years away I'd forgotten how standard it is for things to be old, beautiful, and cobbled :) But it never ceases to catch my breath and I really enjoyed wandering around central Aachen. It's all it should be: cobbled roads, a huge square with a gorgeous town hall and cathedral (the cathedral's really unusual too- a definite stop while in Aachen)... Stop in the main square for a beer, then just have a wander around the winding little streets! Around Christmas you must get printen, a specialty there. It tastes a bit like gingerbread, but they have all sorts of varieties- chocolate dipped, almond covered, etc. I thought it was yummy :)And as you drive in and around Aachen there are lots of nice old buildings and things that weren't destroyed by war. We were only there for an afternoon to see some friends. I wish we could've spent a bit more time wandering about...Conclusion: stop by if you can. No need to go out of your way, but I found it really charming.

Check Aachen Hotel Deals