Tosedone River Guest House

Check Pakse Hotel Deals

Tosedone River Guest House Pakse Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Tosedone River Guest House Apr 29, 2013
Night sleeper bus was almost empty and I had whole back of the bus just for myself… Imagine five beds wide sleeping pad and tired guy spreading all over it. Travelers heaven.

After small setback with blown tire (fixed in the middle of the night by professionals that were awaken from the sleep and faster than formula crew) we made it to Pakse right on time. I was trying to consult LP book, but map was worst than horrible and started with good old “ask the locals and try to communicate your problem”. New Lonely Planet book for Southeast Asia is the worst one I have ever had, with old and non adequate info and bad maps. What is the point of “backpackers guide” when they list 100$ hotels in Lao…

This city has small influx of tourism and people don’t really speak English. I had to pose twice that morning with the shop keeper and passerby that had to have image of the strange thing. I went in circles for good 30 minutes and then found the right direction towards some guest houses and hotels. Most of the places on the way asked for 100k and up for the room, but I have been traveling around the country for a while and that was more than double that you should pay. So after few guest houses and hotels that I checked, I got info from the beautiful Dutch girl of the cheap and good place on the river bank. I went there and found Tosedone River Guest House nested in the large courtyard and surrounded with small bungalows. Place is run by the family that has few kids and they will keep you company at all times. Lady boss speaks ok English, she is very helpful and always smiling. I got double bed room with bathroom for 50k which was exactly what I was going for. Fan in the room was giving enough air movement and open windows gave nice fresh air without bugs.

Whole complex is rundown but it has great advantages. First, it is right on the river bank with the only bridge passing some 100 meters away. Large balcony and beautiful sunsets are just perfect ending of the day and broken chairs and tables are quickly reassembled for enjoyment. Guest house is pretty safe with good locks and mosquito nets on the doors and windows. Rooms are totally clean, towels, soap and restroom paper are provided. Location is very central, I the main area of the “center” of Pakse, close to the restaurants, nice Wat, big market, and at night many small restaurants on the bank of the river offer good food and romantic setting. Couple of large barge restaurants are housing weddings and other larger happenings in town.

Aside of “center” area there are many nice and old Wat’s, and huge market in the new part of the city. Lots of produce from surrounding area on huge covered market are easily the best and largest I have seen in this part of Asia.

Transport from here can be easily organized with many small tour agencies. Be aware of the transportation that is offered between Laos and Cambodia. Buses are good only in the beginning, and then they move you to the horrible falling apart vehicles that take you to the point B, but with lots of problems and far away from the time you have on intermarry… Instead of 9pm, bus dropped us at the Siam Reap private station (locked doors) and extracted extra money for tuk tuk drivers. Most of other buses stop in the center of the town.

Check Pakse Hotel Deals