Topper's Bar & Grill

311 State Road , Montevideo, MN, USA - (320) 269-9401

Topper's Bar & Grill Montevideo Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
good food that's not a chain restaurant Oct 11, 2011
I was staying in Montevideo, Minnesota, for work and was looking for a good place to eat. The gas station clerk recommended Topper's for good food plus beer. I made my way to the downtown area and found this little bar and grill and a ton of cars. As my aunt would say, it must be a good place if there are a lot of cars out front.

The bar seating was small - maybe only enought for 8-10 people. The dining area (still in the bar) had plenty of tables, so I sat down at one. The menu is printed on a small "newspaper" at your table. It wasn't long before the waitress came over to take my drink order. The draft beer menu was heavy on the ambers and dark beers and light on the light beers. I ordered a short beer and soon she brought out a really tall glass. I wondered how big the tall beer was! (I figured out she brought me a tall beer).

The menu has lots of typical bar and grill choices. You have the burgers, a turkey burger, wraps, chunks of meat, etc. Sorry, not much for vegetarians here. I ordered the daily special - one pork chop, garlic mashed potatoes, vegetable (corn), and coleslaw - for $10. The food came out quickly and it was so good I devoured it. The pork chop was nice and juicy and the garlic mashed potatoes were excellent. Corn is almost always good, especially with mashed potatoes. The coleslaw was nice and creamy. Yum! It was a really good meal and pretty cheap. Much better than a chain restaurant or fast food for dinner!

It was a little tricky to find, as it is in the downtown area, which is not where the main highway goes. But follow the signs to downtown, go past Casey's gas station, and you're there (those were the instructions from the gas station, and they worked for me!). It was pretty low key inside. Mostly locals. But no one stared at me too much, being the outsider here. The Midwest is full of these bar and grill places and they always seem to have good food and cold beer, so that works for me!
pork chop dinner!
front of bar/restaurant
pinchora says:
looks good! this may be my next stop when I come back to treck around Minnesota!
Posted on: Oct 12, 2011