445 N Clark St, Chicago, IL, USA

Topolobampo Chicago Reviews

airenwah airenwah
Topolobampo Mar 26, 2011
Topolobampo is a gourmet Mexican retuarant located in downtown Chicago. It is owned by Chef Rick Bayless.First of all, if you plan on having dinner at Topolobampo or it's sister Frontera (which is located in the same building), you will need to book your reservations about three months in advance. However my business partner and I managed to squeek in a lunch reservation without a whole lot of trouble.

The ambiance is great. You walk into the main entrance and pass through the their bar area or Xoco. Then the next section is the more "cafe" or "grill" themed restaurant called Frontera. The back section is the fine dining section called Topolobamp. The staff was warm and inviting. Our server was extremely polite and made sure we were well attended to without the appearance of being overly present.

After watching all of Rick Bayless's Mexican centric cooking shows I was really looking forward to the experience. My expectations were exceeded in grand fashion. The food was nothing short of amazing. I had the Trio, Trio, Trio: Sampling of Ceviche Fronterizo, Ceviche Yucateco & Coctail de Atun Tropical for a starter. Then followed up with Puerco en Tlatonile: Seared Berkshire pork shoulder, apricot-glazed pork belly in tlatonile (rustic sauce of guajillo, chipotle, sesame, pepitas, peanuts). Black sesame dumplings (chochoyotes), chayote and watercress stems. The flavors were out of this world. Evidently the menu changes every month. My partner had the duck. It was his first time trying duck. He was thrilled with it. And by the look of it the duck was cooked to a perfect medium rare.

If you have access to this place on a routine basis you shouldn't get to weary of having a lot of great new dishes to try. I highly recommend this place to anyone. The lunch menu, although not a cheep date was fairly reasonable. I will make it a point to visit Topolobampo each time I visit Chicago.
ekondra ekondra
Fancy Mexican Food Aug 06, 2008
Topolobampo, surprisingly, was like so many reviews I've read here. First, we were not seated at the time of our reservation, we were seated 15 minutes late (we had reservations for 8:45 and were note seated until after 9:00). Although I didn't really mind because the company I was with was great so we were able to pass the time. Once we were seated, the service was excellent - our waiter knew the menu well and was able to tell us about the wines and the dishes appropriately (He told us at the end that they have to learn a new menu every two weeks, including the wines, and they also have to know the menu for Frontera Grill. I was WAY impressed). The meal took almost three hours, which was just the right amount of time for the 5 course tasting meal we did (I was with three people and each of us got a different tasting menu - so I was able to taste 15 dishes!). I do believe however that the prices were a little high for the food, because although I was satisfied with my dishes, not everyone in my party was. The food was a little salty for our tastes (as other reviews also mention) but I have to say, the moles were some of the best I have ever tasted. All in all, I would go back - if someone else were paying for my meal again! I do however have my eye on Frontera Grill. That place looked more my style. :)

Related Travel Blogs About Topolobampo

An Interlude for Food - Yucatecan Cuisine
Since the Yucatan historically had ports with commercial and cultural contacts with Europe (especially France and Spain), New Orleans, and Cuba, the Yucatecans were influenced by many aspects of thos…Chicago restaurants including Frontera Grill, Topolobampo, and XOCO.  A few years back Cindy and I had a great ‚ÄúTasting…

Check Chicago Hotel Deals