Top 5 Things to Avoid Doing in Thailand
Top 5 Things to Avoid Doing in Thailand Bangkok Reviews
Top 5 Things to Avoid Doing in Thailand Oct 12, 2013
Thailand is a beautiful country with lots of islands, attractions and a bustling nightlife. Although known as the 'Land of Smiles' and Bangkok as the 'City of Angels', making it a wonderful country to visit or live in, don't let that fool you. There are couple of things a traveler or even a local should avoid doing otherwise it can cost you...big time.
Here are 5 from my experience.
1. Do not touch or pat a Thai local on the head. This is a very sacred part for them and is considered disrespectful. Similarly, don't point your feet at them either.
2. Avoid taking cabs if they aren't taking you by the meter. Even if they are giving you a seemingly great deal, there are lots of scams behind it. They would take you around the city that you probably don't even want to see and shouldn't. Which leads to my next tip.
3. If you want to see a patpong show, be careful. Avoid going 'upstairs' as many times there are hidden charges. This is a case that happened to my brother and his friends when they decided to go upstairs and ended up paying hidden fees of up to about 10,000 Baht. Just say no thanks or have a Thai friend or guide with you.
4. Do not get involved with drugs. This is a serious issue in Thailand and cops are getting very strict. Similarly don't drink and drive either. Well that's a no brainer in any country but its not as lax as it was a few years back.
5. Taking Rihana's recent Instagram photos into account, don't take pictures with wildlife. Sure it's not your fault but rather than supporting the people who use these abused animals for their gain, you could help by sending these photos to an appropriate campaign group. Going to the police won't help either as they are sometimes paid off to keep a blind-eye.
What are your experiences (bad or good) in Thailand?
0 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!