Tonle Sap Guesthouse

#4-6 Street 104, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Check Phnom Penh Hotel Deals

Tonle Sap Guesthouse Phnom Penh Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
located next to dingy buildings, and yet accesable to everything... Jul 28, 2012
What I like best in this guesthouse is their bathroom. In Asia, it is uncommon to have a bathroom with a tub and a shower area with a partition from the toilet and lavatory or sink. During our stay, the bathroom was also clean.

The guesthouse’s location is convenient to a lot of restaurants, and tourist attractions like Wat Phnom, The Night Market, the Tonle Sap River, and many more. The Mekong Express Bus Station is only a block away to/from the guesthouse. Additionally, this is the same station where our transportation from Siem Reap did stop.

We paid a visit to two historical places in this city namely; The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and The Killing Fields. Just outside the door of the guest house are tuk-tuk drivers waiting for people who need their services. We were lucky to have found an honest driver who did not take advantage of us. Probably because they knew the guest house’s owner on a business level.

We stayed in a Full Bedroom with one full-size bed and furnished with a mini-fridge, an "old style" television set, an electric fan, electric adaptor, and a wardrobe closet. Our room is quite spacious for two people, and though it is basic and unpretentious, it was comfy and clean. There’s no natural light coming through because there is no window. Our room did have AC but will only set to one temperature, and cannot be changed. Wi-Fi use was free of charge, and we had a strong connection right inside our room.

A few things I didn’t like; the shabby façade of the guesthouse and the dingy next door buildings. The bar that is very visible upon entering is so out of place in my opinion. What I meant is; the restaurant, the 24-hour bar and the check-in area are in one stretch. It just felt awkward to walk past a group of people drinking on the way upstairs to the bedrooms. That being said, the main level can get very rowdy. Surprisingly, we didn’t hear any noise at all. Or we’re too tired, we slept soundly through the night.

The Staff were not very friendly, but they were civil and polite. We had an early check out, but they allowed us to leave our backpacks while we visited some places.

Will I recommend this guesthouse? If you don’t mind staying in a backpacker area, why not?!
located in a shabby neighborhood
24/7 open
part of the bar/restaurant
rotorhead85 rotorhea…
Tonle Sap Guesthouse Dec 17, 2010
For one night transits through Phnom Penh, I like to stay near the riverfront. Prices are a bit higher than a few blocks inland on congested streets but I prefer the more relaxed, open spaces. I stumbled onto the Tonle Sap Guesthouse last July and made it my choice for another stay on this trip. I was fortunate to get the last room available for the night.

My $18 room was up just one flight of spiral stairs. It was well equipped with a comfortable bed, fridge, cable television, wardrobe closet, and all important air conditioning. The bathroom included a hot water shower and tub. A free wifi connection, secured, was very good.

The unique thing about the Tonle Sap was its lobby which happened to be the Pickled Parrot Pub & Restaurant. The spacious, air conditioned place is open 24 hours and seemed to be very popular with travelers and expats alike (that's always a good sign). The atmosphere was Irish and included a large-screen TV, pool table, a very large tropical aquarium, and a friendly, cheerful staff. Beer was ice cold and western food excellent, though the menu also included Khmer and international dishes.

The pub/guesthouse is conveniently located half a block from the riverfront terminal for the fast boat up to Siem Reap, and just around the corner from the Paramount bus station and any other destination. The mid-range price is a real bargain for a comfortable, unwinding stay in Phnom Penh. I'll definitely stay here again, or at least stop in for a refreshing cold beer.
Tonle Sap GH/Pickled Parrot
Room at the Tonle Sap
TV and fridge
rotorhead85 says:
Nice to splurge once in awhile - great place to do it!
Posted on: Dec 19, 2010
Chokk says:
I totally agree; Mike :D
Posted on: Dec 19, 2010
Lord_Mike says:
Dang, $18 a night! You have found thee place to be, during the cold winters.....
Posted on: Dec 18, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Tonle Sap Guesthouse

Passing through
My 6:30 bus from Siem Reap arrived in Phnom Penh around mid-day. I checked into the Tonle Sap Guesthouse, left my daypack, and dashed three blocks to the U.S. Embassy, arriving just minutes before it…Phnom Penh around mid-day. I checked into the Tonle Sap Guesthouse, left my daypack, and dashed three blocks to the U.S. Embassy…

Check Phnom Penh Hotel Deals