Tombstone, Arizona

Tombstone Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
The Town too Tough to Die Apr 12, 2008
“The Town too Tough to Die” is the way the website starts. Ed Schieffelin was a gold prospector and Indian scout, and had ventured to Camp Huachuca along with a party of soldiers in 1877. Always looking for his pot of gold he ventured out and found silver nearby. But the soldiers teased and made fun of him saying "The only rock you will find out there will be your own tombstone". Thus when he filed his first claim he called it Tombstone. Soon, word got out and the area began to see a large influx of other prospectors. The town of Tombstone was born. Greed, anger, and lawlessness took over the town quickly as it grew to be one of the largest cities west of the Mississippi. But the town had a very short life, as did many of its citizens. The town nearly died after water levels in the mines rose and shut them all down in 1889.

Today, about 2,000 people live here around the single street that was Tombstone. They maintain the “old west” theme and do what they can to make a living by selling souvenirs, having stage coach tours, charging admission fees to as many things as possible and dressing in western garb, although not very authentic, to please the tourists.

I can’t really say that this is a “must see”, unless you are really an old west fan. At least a few of the original buildings have been retained and maintained so we don’t loose them.
bugjuice says:
Hi Roger, Tombstone was a great one day stop over for me then it was back to Tucson.
Posted on: Jun 16, 2008
Sweetski says:
Hi Roger, as a fan of graveyards, I expected this review to be about just that. Never did it cross my mind that there would be a town called Tombstone. So, thank you my friend for educating me. Maybe I'll check this place out, next time I'm in the US :)
Posted on: Jun 14, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
Hi Roger, congrats. Nice to see your face next to mine. Hahaha
Posted on: Jun 14, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Tombstone

Show down at the *ok corral*
ARE WE IN THE WILD WILD WEST?!?!?! OMG my allergies. There was dust everywhere. I was dying. We walk around until it was lunch time. We all met up with the rest of the group. Some of the group w…TOMBSTONE   Tombstone is a city in Cochise County, Arizona, United States, founded in 1879 by Ed Schieffelin…
The Town Too Tough To Die - Tombstone
Hollywood has done a great job relieving the history of this little yet legendary town. Roughly an hour or so drive from Tucson arriving into this little town, the first welcome you get is this huge …TOMBSTONE". From the history that the horsemen in Tombstone tell, one can vividly imagine the violence and luck…
Vakantie Dag 13 - Marana - Tombstone - Bisbee - Willcox
Vandaag stonden er slechts 320 kilometers op het programma, met al main course, het western stadje Tombstone. Maar eerst werd er weer uitgebreid genoten van het ontbijt-buffet. Aangezien we nu in een…Tombstone". Schieffelin had gelijk, hij stierf niet in Tombstone, en het stadje bloeide op nadat er diverse mijnen…

Check Tombstone Hotel Deals