Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007)

Speyer, Germany
Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007) - Speyer Cathedral
Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007) - inside Speyer Cathedral
Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007) - crypt area in Speyer Cathedral
Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007) - one of the tombs at the side of the stairs
Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007) - more tombs

Tombs of Kings and Emperors and Speyer Cathedral (October 2007) Reviews

jennethm jennethm
Nov 07, 2007
I came across Speyer while browsing through the internet for places to see while I am in Mannheim. Luckily, it is just 20 miles from Mannheim. Speyer is a small quiet town. It features the UNESCO World Heritage Imperial Cathedral, which houses the tombs of eight German emperors and kings. The cathedral was not lavished with as much architecture as I have expected but the solemnity of the place was kept by it's simplicity. There is no fee to enter, but you have to pay 2 euros to get into the crypt area where the tombs of the emperors and kings are. One would expect that since emperors' and kings' remains were kept here, that the tombs would be lavished with gold or carvings, they were not. They were kept very simple and if not for the name that indicated who was buried there, you would not think they were kings and emperors before. It was very quiet there as I came early and I was the only one in the crypt area aside from the lady who is cleaning the altar. I haven't read about the past life of these kings and emperors and the tombs didn't much info either, but I think they should be given more tribute in a way. I saw some tombs on other churches and there is usually an architecture on top of the tomb to describe who was buried there. I know the tombs are housed on a church and the church should be kept solemn and spiritual as possible, but these are just my thoughts... and I am just writing them.
Speyer Cathedral
inside Speyer Cathedral
crypt area in Speyer Cathedral
one of the tombs at the side of th…
jennethm says:
Oh, great job u have. Thanks for agreeing with me. At least, they should post someone to answer the people's question regarding those who were buried there.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2007
jteddyb says:
I'm a historian, so I might know the kings and emperors buried there. But they should really give more info to the general public about who they were.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2007